Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
975 Posts
Stan, I've never considered it myself. Some knots & hook eye type it makes a difference in how to tie the knot, but otherwise, never considered it. I use a no slip loop knot a lot with flies & lures and don't think it matters.

One thing I do check is that the hook eye is completely closed & that there are no burr's at the eye. These "problems" will lose a fish in a heart beat.

I've seen the line get in that small opening in a hook eye & break the line or slip thru it. Same with a burr, I had some hooks that all had a small burr left from how the hook eye was formed in the manufacturing process. It was sharp & would break the line. I think they were Matzuo hooks I had, but not sure of that. These are two things I look for when buying hooks now.

· Registered
1,344 Posts
If snelling or cat pawing to a dropper loop you want to go between the gap in the hook so the hook bites when the line is pulled. It only really makes a difference if the eye is straight. If the eye is bent away from the gap of the hook I would only snell it to the line. Snelling a bent eye hook will make it pull straight attaching with another knot that only ties to the eye will make the hook pull away from the bite when the line is pulled. I prefer straight eye hooks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.