Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for you lure fishermen. For example, you have 6 lures, that have different color patterns (but they are the same otherwise). How do you know when to use what lure? What dictates when to use what?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Night or day colors...

For jetty use...

Dark colors for fishing at night...bright colors for fishing during the day.

Night colors are black, black/purple, or purple.
Day colors are red head/white, mackeral, yellow, and pink.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I usually bring 2 poles out,if lure fishing(med to lite tackle).

I usually fish metals with the med pole and plugs and soft plastics with the other pole.

As Sandcrab posted,I fish the bright colors on them bright days and darker colors towards the evening.

Depending on the structure,I prefer fishing with my 8 1/2 foot trout rod(Key Largo) with my 4000fha sphero's reel(lite tackle).

My lure of preference is any 4 inch Storm.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Other than the dark lure @ night & bright during the day (which to me has always seemed bass-ackwards) the old Flyfishers rule of 'match the hatch' is also important. If you can identify the bait that's already in the area where you are fishing try to use something that looks similar.

With lures like the Mirrolure, I've heard that one reason there are so many different colors on top and bottom of the lure is so you can match the color of the bottom and the sky. So if you're fishing on a sandy bottom use a yellow or white bottomed lure. If it's overcast or cloudy out then a dark topped color like green. Day break or sunset when the sky is red then of course a red color, and so on.

Also, don't be afraid to change your lure color or type if you're not catching. I've fished too many times beside other people and you might have close to the same thing but just a slight variation of lures will make the difference of just fishing and CATCHING. If you don't have what they're using don't be afraid to ask to borrow, you'd be surprised at the generousity of MOST fisherfolks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts