Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With an 11'foot rod rated 4-7 oz weight and loaded with 20 lb test should I still use a shock leader for throwing 4 and 5 oz weights?

·
Registered
504 Posts
All the time. Using 20 # mono or braid I would go with a at least 40# mono shock leader that wraps at least 3 times around your reel and hangs down at least half yoyr rod lenght. I eaven go to 50# or even 60#. figure the old way, 10 # for every once of wieght I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was taught a knot with mono to mono by a casting champion years ago that is quick and easy. put a single overhand knot in your shock line and a uni on your running line and as you pull the uni down it will slide up on the other knot a bit. Best part is in the dark you can feel it real good when retrieving the line in. and the uni acts as a buffer as you are casting. easy to do in the dark and wind also. i use the other knots mentioned also but that one the most

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Shock Leader Rule Of Thumb. Length - 2 times the length of the rod plus 3 wraps around the spool. Weight - 2 1/2 times your running line weight. Type Leader - Ande Premium mono is my personal favorite. Type Knot - Mono to Mono - Surgeon's Knot. Braid to Mono - Double Uni Knot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As others have stated-- need to use one all the time, 10# for every ounce of lead. Lots of knots to choose from but pick a combo that works for you and that you can tie well. I use a spider hitch to double the main line (16-20# mono) and then a Tunks knot to attach the doubled line to the leader (80# mono).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts