Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang...I went surf fishing today for 3 hrs...got beat the hell by the wind, 7 oz sinkers wouln't hold, the water was dirty...I sometimes wonder why i surf fish instead of the pier where everything is benign, no seaweed, no weight problems....oh well just want to vent..better days ahead..:):fishing:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
you ever go to surfline.com ?
i rely on it much of the time before i head out.
what im seeing today is that you might have been the only one on the beach?
other times i dont care what the weather is like, I'M going fishin'...
better days ahead.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Water has been rough past couple of days. I did catch some pretty big bluefish on Thursday in the surf. Try the Pier at Garden City. Black drum are biting, I caught 3 the other day.

Britt

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think (and hope) the break will occur tonight. Already the wind has died way down, and the surf is starting to chill out a bit. We'll see if that holds...

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
pretty big bluefish(how big), where if you don't mind telling us. i personally consider 17 inch or bigger big blues for SC. havent gone out due to the high winds on sunday or saturday. weather seems to calm down by tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Fished CG Pier today, didn't see much other than spots being caught. There was someone catching small blues (6-10 inches) and some small whiting. But nothing sizeable except for spots and two big black drum.

Evan

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Dang...I went surf fishing today for 3 hrs...got beat the hell by the wind, 7 oz sinkers wouln't hold, the water was dirty...I sometimes wonder why i surf fish instead of the pier where everything is benign, no seaweed, no weight problems....oh well just want to vent..better days ahead..:):fishing:
i thought about your post today as i was headed to tybee.
i had some blue crabs and a new rod and reel...
good god it was atrocious out there..
i went to the south jetty to get out of the wind and ruff.
What i saw was incredible.
some of our finest from ft. stewart(Marines) were there relieving some stress from the gulf playing in the sand(imagine that).
what was amazing was a guy WAY out in the RUFF swimming.
at first i thought he was a grunt also BUT everyone was pointing at him. i watched also for some 15minutes as he swam to shore.
apparently this guy was kayakin' in the mouth where lil'tybee and tybee meet.
he came in and people were talking about how he lost his kayak. the thing SANK....
i wish i had recorded his tale of this near miss....i asked all the right questions.
he lost his kayak in the surf and fortunately the tide was coming in...he told me he spent the last 2hours swimming back!!!
there were rip currents from hell out there..that kinda water is nothin' to play with. i didnt even wet a line..this guy is one lucky mug.
i recently talked with an old gent of 72 who told me of a tale where he and a group were lost at sea for 19hrs off the coast here. when he was a young 68...guess im gonna have to wait a day or two before i head back there..
b' backing the truck up to the boat tomorrow mornin'.
i am seeing all kinda reports of the BIG reds on the shore and im wants 1. but inshore will be safer...unless ft. pulaski bridge is producing which i doubt since they got all the dredging crap happening there right before the tybee lighthouse.
shade12 is on the pier. meant to stop by to say hi. i see the guys that used to post here like nick, chet, sam and some of their friends.
and i did look at that weather report i mentioned before i went to tybee today..wow.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
racewire
do you eat them?
IF this is what the water will look like as it comes closer to us down here, fishing should be awesome on the surf by wens. im there.....if so the pic. is the best weather report of surf conditions of what to expect. smoove....at low?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
racewire
do you eat them?
IF this is what the water will look like as it comes closer to us down here, fishing should be awesome on the surf by wens. im there.....if so the pic. is the best weather report of surf conditions of what to expect. smoove....at low?
ledweight, WE cooked one up once, kinda greasy and mushy for my taste, but I'm no fish fry cook either.
Sorry to get you hyped about the weather, but this was back in may. Had about an hour or two run of these big blues. Lots of fun. Also as nice as it looks in the pics, what you can't see is the big black cloud behind us that came on us fast. Winds of 45 mph or better, we know cause that's how fast we had to run to loose the tail wind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts