Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you fish with this red hook everyone is talking about nowadays? Is this for real ? Do we have any evident that this reds can out fish regular hooks? Any of you got a clue or prove? drop me your two cents......... I am going broke purchasing bloodworms for $8 a pop already.

"why fix it if it ain't broken".... :(

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Some 1 correct me if I am wrong,Fish are pretty much color blind at certain depths?

I can see using a red(bleeding)hook when casting lures,but aint a regular size 8 circle hook with fresh bait enough?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Also, as a diver I know that the color red is not visible below 20'. It is the first color to "disappear" underwater.

·
Registered
680 Posts
it's like everything else. someone tries them and catches a couple fish and he tells this guy then he tells another,etc,etc,etc. it's like many other new products, but wait and see.i have used the same rigfor years and doing well.as mentioned before fish are color blind. take all the offshore lures they use for say tuna. every year new ones emerge. but cedar plugs have worked for over 50years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As for the red hook being better than other hooks for catching fish I think it just shows that most fishing equipment is designed to catch fishman instead of fish :D and it seems to work :eek:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I bought red hooks last year or two years ago at KMart just beacuse its what they had in the size I wanted. I have really liked them. They even seem to work a little better. And they don't rust.

G

·
I was surprised to see how many nearly empty slots there were on the racks when I got mine yesterday. I chose the sizes based on which racks had the fewest. The cost of the Eagle Claw brand was not that much more than that of the bronze types. But that was at Walmart. Some places sell the bronze for the same or higher price than Walmart sells the red ones for. So with that in mind, I impulsively reached for the red ones. Both circle types and regular bait holder types.

I am anxious to be able to make a comparison of the two in the weeks and months ahead. I'll set up two rigs with a red hook in the high position on one and a red hook in the low position on the other. Same switched positions with bronze hooks. Same size and hook type as well as bait for each of the four. I'll post results of catches on red versus bronze.

Thanks for the thumbs up Husky MD. Looks like new meant improved in your case. And less maintenance and greater cost effectiveness as well. :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last summer, I compare that hook with Gamakatu cicle. Choptank, night fishing, from 7:00-12:00, on hand-tying Hi-Lo rig(4 at Hi and 1/0 at Lo). Though it is limited experiment by situation, Gamakatu work much better. So I always trust Gamakatu more.
But anyway after that, I had several chance to use red hook. And I think it's better than other bronze J-type bait holder hook, especially during daytime. To me, Gamakatu is #1 choice, than whatever.... If red is in my tackle box, I will use it.

G

·
Jaefish,

I bought a pack of 1/0 circle hooks by Matzuo. They say the hooks are "chemically" sharpened. Are they a good choice. They were only $1.99 for a six pack. They also have 18 inches of single snelled line attached.

Thanks for the dip on daytime fishing success. :cool: I will try my experiment in the daytime hours.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I tried some of those and the line was too thin. The line kept geeting all tangled up. The hook seems good but the line isn't.

G

·
Thanks Husky. I'll carefully clip the old line off and re-snell them. Would you suggest using double line for retying or just a single regular 15 lb test line?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use the red hooks and have had great success with them. I'm sure there is no effect from the red paint, but they are strong, stay sharp, & last forever. By the way, I am at Matapeake right now and there are only 4 of us here (no crowds). Unfortunately, the fish are not here either...

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I just now saw your ? about resnelling them. I "snell" with single strand, but I use like 30 lb test. I say "snell", because I actually just use a uni twist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts