Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance but.......

can somebody explain the difference between the Oceanmaster OM12SC and the Oceanmaster OM12SS. I searched the forum and couldn't get clarity on the question. What I did find was that the guides are smaller on casting rods and larger on spinning rods. This is suggested because the line comes off the spinning reel in big loops and needs the bigger guides to allow the cast. My conclusion from that is use spinning reels on spinning rods only. But one could use a casting reel on a spinning rod as well. Yes ? No ?

Is the only difference the size of the guides ?

What I want to do is purchase a Abu 7000iCS Ambassadeur CS Pro Rocket and put it on my OM12SS. Bad idea or what ? let me know.

Thanks,
-santiva

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
rods

I have seen some of the spinning rod at hatteras in one of the bait shops that had casting guides on backwards.I build rods and have never never seen anything like it.I told the guy it wouldn't work but he assured me it would throw as far with the small guides as it would with the larger spinning guides.Didnt try it soI dont know.Im up for change if it works........but I am old school,to me the loop off a spinner needs larger guides.

And where is the line rub with a conventional on a spin rod?It depends on how far up the first guide is I guess

·
Registered
705 Posts
Line rub where?? On the guide closest to the reel...
The line rub comes from the line rubbing the blank when the rod is bent. The purpose of the guides, especially on a conventional rod, is to prevent the line from contacting the rod when it is bent at a nearly max bend. The guides on a spinning rod are normally spaced differently, and sometimes farther apart. Also, they are meant to be facing down, not up, as with a conventional. Some spinning rods have enough guides, spaced closely enough I guess, so the line will not contact the blank when it's bent at 90 degrees, but in most cases it's best to just get the right rod... or reel... Hell, just get 2 of each, just to be sure. :D

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
This is what I woud do. take a piece of string, or fishing line. run it through the guides on the rod, face the guides up, opposite of a spinning set up, and pull the line down until the rod is fully loaded. if the line is touching the blank or under the blank,meaning it has went from on top to now on bottom, then this is not a excellent choice to do with this rod. I have owned several casting rods that the line did touch the blank and never had any type issue because of it. But it seems that with more and more people getting into custom rod building, that people are paying more attention to teh mechanics of a rod that before. i never looked at anything like spacing, line rub before I got into rodbuilding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.