Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jake Ace, you've been kind of silent lately. What's the count on tagged flounders? Have you broken your record yet?

Last year your reports were driving me nuts, wanting to get to Ocean View.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sorry. Travelling every other week, and my wife's a teacher so she's off all summer and on the days I'm home we're constantly on the go with my 3-year old.

That doesn't mean I haven't been fishing. Here's an Oceanview Report from Friday night / Saturday morning. Fished from 7p - 4a. I went with my neighbor in his boat, but we ended up anchored within casting distance of the beach along the HRBT.

Before we left the marina, we coasted around and I threw the cast net until we had about 60 menhaden for the night.

Tagged / released 10 flounder (14" to 17") on menhaden and jigs. Caught / released 3 stripers (25", 21" and 20"). Kept a 16" Grey Trout and a 17" Croaker.

Lots of fish popping the water under the bridge. Probably trout and stripers. We think they were gorging on shrimp under the lights.

As for the tagging. The number tagged this year so far has exceeded all years past. So far this year, 616 tagged / released flounder. My best year in the past was 565. I'm looking forward to maybe pushing 800 this year with all of August / September / October to go.

Thanks again to everyone who has let me tag their throwbacks: Flounder Pounder, Kimoslobby, Red-Eye, Fishin' Ed, The Biologist, The Optometrist and the many, many other folks I've met along the way.

THROW MORE / MOST / SOME / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand how busy it can get with a young family. I've got a seven-year old son and a four-year old daughter. When I'm not working it seems I've got something to do with them.

I had wondered if after your trip to Hatteras it was time to do some catching up on the "honey-do" list.:D Don't worry we all have that duty at times.

Thanks for the new report.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Didn't tag the stripers. There may be another program that does that exclusively, but that's one of the few fish that aren't targeted by this Saltwater Fishing Tournament / Tagging Program of the VMRC.

As of Friday August 8th, the flounder tag number was at 658. I tagged a few nices ones in a boat on Friday too that we let go.

THROW MORE / SOME / MOST / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts