Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To fish around rocks? Will braid give me a big advantage in this area? What do you guys think? ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I definitely think braid will reduce worries about cutting your line. The only thing I hate a braid is if you get snagged(as I am prone to do around rocks) you can give yourself a hernia breaking it loose or you can cut it but I hate to lose any of that expensive line.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sam- You hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. I snag a lot and it is hard to get out. It does resist rocks a lot better IMO on the other hand in terms of breaking off when a fish is on the line.

-Luke

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bigshark,
All I use is braided lines, period. I've got 12# spiderwire fusion on my 2 freshwater reels, and 50# saltwater fusion on my penn 320gt2 combo I got from walmart for 64.99, haha, talk about a steal.... Anyway, as Sam said, its a pain in the ass if you happen to get snagged on a pier/rock or something of the sort. Usually one of two things happen, you either bend the hook straight, or pull whatever you've snagged in. If you're worried about losing a bunch of line, you can always stick with the mono line and put a few feet of braided line, I prefer the fusion, as a leader. Then if you get snagged you'll just break off at the swivel.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You could attach your sinker to the braid with lighter mono so you only lose the sinker instead of the whole rig.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shoeless- That is a good plan, I like that one a lot. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Most anglers who fish for blackfish (Tog) up here just attach the sinker to their line snap with a rubber band. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts