Pier and Surf Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
No problems at all with 6 or 8 # braid with or without a leader. I tie a Palomar knot (not a double palomar) when I tie directly to a lur we or uni-to-uni when I tie on a leader. Keep line under presser and ALWAYS close your bail by hand...

Reactions: slosh

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Plant community Water Plant Natural environment Natural landscape
Plant Flower Botany Grass Fish
I

Berkley 8# X9 braid enabled me to pull two bass out of this slop in Accident, MD last weekend on my spinning setup.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I honestly wouldn't waste my time with 10lb braid. One thing I noticed about light line is the shortened lifespan. The 2nd thing I noticed about light braid is the amount of wind knots as you're potentially casting lighter weights.

What size reel do you want to spool with 10lb and what is it that you're not getting out of mono? I have a 1500 Sharky for my ultralight rig and I was using Slick8. It sucked. I had to keep chopping it off due to knicks. I tried a 9 carrier orange line from Anglers (can't remember the name) and midway though the season it was easily breaking (basically cost me $35 to spool my reel and I had to toss it before the season). Maybe an old 4 strand braid might be worth it.

BTW, the X9 is really nice line.
HUH?? I use 6# Sufix 832 on my ultra light spinning outfit and after 5yrs still performs well, never had a wind knot either.
I have 10# on several of my rods and will outcast any of your mono rigs. Haven't used mono in years.
Braid also is 10 times more sensitive than mono.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Water Boat Smile Hat Watercraft

20" striped bass, was caught on a 6'6 M action spinning rod, Daiwa SS 1300 reel loaded with 10lb Daiwa J-Braid x8. Caught ~20 stripers on that and another similar set up, and even got a few on a 5'9 L rod with a Daiwa SS 700, loaded with 8lb PowerPro. No big fish (biggest was 26"), but tons of fun in the heavy current, and I was able to horse them a little as needed when they dove under the boat.

No WAY was I landing those fish on light tackle with 6-8lb monofilament. Those same combos work great for pond bass (even in some cover), and will throw Gulps on the beach with no fear of the yearling drum (mostly because I won't catch one anyway).

The increased sensitivity is a nice touch.

I've had good luck with PowerPro, except in the 20lb persuasion where I've had a lot of mystery break offs. Never a problem with the Daiwa X8. The Fireline fused works beautifully on a couple of old reels (Zebco Cardinal 4, Penn 716Z), though I prefer round braid for reels that can handle it (i.e the line lay management is not from the stone age).

·
Registered
407 Posts
HUH?? I use 6# Sufix 832 on my ultra light spinning outfit and after 5yrs still performs well, never had a wind knot either.
I have 10# on several of my rods and will outcast any of your mono rigs. Haven't used mono in years.
Braid also is 10 times more sensitive than mono.
I don't use mono on most of my rigs (only deep sea when the cap reqs it and a ultra light rig I rarely use). I use braid on my 3000-8000 reels, but 15-30lb. I fish off the beach, pier and from a kayak. My reels change from rod to rod, depending. I don't have extra spools for them so what they're loaded with is what gets fished. I could get away with lighter lines on the yak, but too many factors from shore....sinker weight, distance casting, rocks, reef and other snags. No shock leader...just 3' of mono for lures or a swivel snap to high-low/T-Rigs. IMO, the quality of braid has changed since it was showed up on the scene. I'm surprised to hear that anyone gets 5 seasons out of their fishing line....especially 10lb test. I push mine up to 3 yrs, but when they start having issues....I change the line.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Significant sunlight exposure to any fishing line degrades it to the point where I'll replace it way before three years. I like to start out each year or any significant fishing trip with fresh line on any reels I plan on using, and a couple will get line replaced during the year.

As for braid, don't like it, but it's a personal choice. I prefer mono for its feel in the water and the way it casts, but mostly because I'm used to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm just trying to get back into fishing, now that I'm an empty nester. Any advice on how to spool braid. I put on 4lb and 10 lb, and have a lot of twisting issues, especially with 4 lb, not to mention I can't try the stuff for $***!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts