Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Sufix 832 lo-vis green for the last several years

When I google the question, Cast King keeps popping up.

Does anybody use Cast King?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I use Spiderwire 30# braid for my surf spinning rods and 6 and 8 # Berkley X9 for freshwater spinners. Freshwater baitcasters get X9 in 50 or 65#.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I bought some KastKing also, was reeled in by the reviews and price, it has a larger diameter compared to other braids in the same # test, I tried it in my field, seemed ok, have not fished it yet. They claim now it's made in Long Island, NY, but my box says made in China, so who the hell knows these days,...pop.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use Spiderwire 30# braid for my surf spinning rods and 6 and 8 # Berkley X9 for freshwater spinners. Freshwater baitcasters get X9 in 50 or 65#.
How do you like Berkley X9? I'm going to give it a shot. I know Berkley Big Game is an oustanding mono, especially for saltwater applications.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
How do you like Berkley X9? I'm going to give it a shot. I know Berkley Big Game is an oustanding mono, especially for saltwater applications.
X9 is great for freshwater fishing. I used to use Nanofil B UT X9 is tougher and casts better..

I do like the PP Maxcurato braid in 50 or 65# for flipping and pitching...

·
Registered
2 Posts
As previously mentioned, the fireline smoke has treated me well, it appears to get fuzzy after using it, but its just breaking in with no effect.
I recently purchased Fireline Ultra 8, so need to give that a fair review

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spooled my brand new 2500 Shimano Ultegra $300 spinning outfit with 164 yds of Berkeley X9 10# and was extremely disappointed. The first 10 yds on my third or 4th cast frayed big time leaving only a couple of strands left. I was fortunate to get my rig back and had to re-tie. Stuff ain't cheap either. I'm going back to good old Sufix 832. Shame on you Berkely!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Spooled my brand new 2500 Shimano Ultegra $300 spinning outfit with 164 yds of Berkeley X9 10# and was extremely disappointed. The first 10 yds on my third or 4th cast frayed big time leaving only a couple of strands left. I was fortunate to get my rig back and had to re-tie. Stuff ain't cheap either. I'm going back to good old Sufix 832. Shame on you Berkely!
CYT,

Never had any problems like that. Sound like you have a problem with a guide nicking your line. I would run a.piece.of fine nylon through the guides to see if it is catching. I did have a problem many years ago with my spinning bail nicking my line..

I have X9 on the six spinning rods I take to Canada to fish for smallies, largemouth, and pike every year. Hundred of casts each day and have had no problems at although I do use an 8 # fluoro leader most of the time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I honestly wouldn't waste my time with 10lb braid. One thing I noticed about light line is the shortened lifespan. The 2nd thing I noticed about light braid is the amount of wind knots as you're potentially casting lighter weights.

What size reel do you want to spool with 10lb and what is it that you're not getting out of mono? I have a 1500 Sharky for my ultralight rig and I was using Slick8. It sucked. I had to keep chopping it off due to knicks. I tried a 9 carrier orange line from Anglers (can't remember the name) and midway though the season it was easily breaking (basically cost me $35 to spool my reel and I had to toss it before the season). Maybe an old 4 strand braid might be worth it.

BTW, the X9 is really nice line.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Wind knots are not caused by the wind. You probably get wind knots when there is no wind. If you know what I mean. I use 8# braid with no problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts