Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get my daughter, age 11, and son, age 12, combos for pier fishing with me and their grandfather. In and around the Sarasota/Bradenton Beach area. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Combo for Kids

I would suggest the 8' Ugly Stik and a Penn 104 CS. Solid gear and it will not break the bank. It will also stand up to abuse. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Okuma makes a Metallix combo in 6'6" as well as 7'. The MSRP on them is around 20 bucks and they hold up pretty well. They're great Gotcha plug rods too.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The perfect combo depends on their experience. But you can never go wrong with a Zebco 404 combo (Wal-Mart, $19.99-$29.99 depending on location). Wal-Mart also sells a Surf/Pier Kit with a 7.5 ft Typhoon medium/heavy action spinning rod and matching reel. This kit also includes weights, hooks, bottom rigs and bluefish lures. That is what I had when I started fishing from piers. I still have the rod/reel combo and it works great for blues, red drum and regular bottom rigging. I can cast it about 30 yds.
It also is very tough and will take some abuse.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: Combo for Kids

Fish Hunter said:
I would suggest the 8' Ugly Stik and a Penn 104 CS. Solid gear and it will not break the bank. It will also stand up to abuse. :rolleyes:
This outfit sounds about perfect to Me. Unless one of the Kids is very short. In that case, a shorter rod would be easier to handle.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yeah i'd get something pretty cheap cause anything can happen on a pier, something big may decide to grab the bait and a rod can get jerked overboard, especially if the kids are young and inexperienced. I remember when my sister was that age she was holding my dads rod and something huge grabbed it. I yelled her name and it startled her, and oops, there it goes overboard. We managed to snag it with a big treble hook and weight we borrowed from a king fisherman, but stuff like that happens very easily. When they get a little more experienced, id get them something a little nicer, but for right now the old "wal-mart special" should work fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Penn has some nice combos at sports auth. and other stores .They are reasonable priced and pretty well built and easy and light for the kids. I had a penn reel from the stone age which i just passed down to a cousin's son.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ron,

To quote an "Ol' Salt" with grandkids. "Keep your costs down and your pleasure up." A Walmart spinning combo "surf special 7' range" would be a good first setup to go with. Consider: size of person, age, strength and how to carry them. (2 piece are easier in cars) Later if all is well, move up to better equipment. Good luck!

Macman:D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Ron,
Take a look at the pic board. Spring 2003, pic 9. The combo in the left picture is Wal-Mart's Typhoon Surf/Pier combo. I checked the other day an found that two of these cost $35 total. Like I said, this price includes the pier kit (hooks, bottom rigs, weights, striper/bluefish jigs), full spool of line, heavy spinning reel, 7 ft med/heavy spinning rod. Easy to cast and sturdy, this rod will never end up in the corner gathering dust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts