Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading alot of posts and it seems that there are mixed feelings about this past year so I'll ask What did you catch this year? I had a slow start, but I say it was a decent year the Blues where the main catch and I was getting them up to 16# before my shoulder gave out. I wish I caught bigger Stripers it did seem like everyone but me was getting the big ones so it wasn't a bad year but it wasn't a banner year for me.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I started out the year party boat fishing on the Morning Star in april and caught the 3 biggest tog I've ever caught. I went out with the boat again the next month and me and my girlfriend limited out on sea bass and I won the pool with a 7 lb tog. I then started pier fishing at choptank july and caught a bunch of croakers. I then went on a headboat in Ridge with a P&S buddy and caught my first few stripers of the year and more croakers. Then the first clean-up came along and the fun began. That's where I caught my first striper from shore, luck of course :), and met a lot of P&S members for the first time. Then it was the biweekly fishing with Jason that ended up being weekly fishing trips with Jason. We ended up catching a decent number of blues, including Jason's biggest to date, a good number of stripers, a few croakers, a couple flounder, a few tog, and a bunch of jumbo spot over the summer. Then came our 4 day fishing trip in October and we caught a bunch of stripers including 3 over 28 inches and a few tog as well. Fishing seemed to slow down after that but it finished with a bang on the Grizzly charter trip. Overall this was one of the better years of fishing for me and was glad that I got to meet so many of you and hope to meet even more of you in the future.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is one thing I will do this coming season is to fish with my fellow P and S family.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yeah I will agree to that. I may have had a good year catching fish, but I had an even better year meeting new friends.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Bad, Bad Year.
No Spring fishing, not much summer fishing, Fall bad.
Out of the 4 surf tournaments we fished 3,34,9 and 3, not very good at all.
My highlight this year was the Kitty Hawk deal and I didn't catch a fish, but I did meet a great bunch of P&S anglers.

All in all 03 can go away without any regrets.

I am fishing 1/1/04, it's got to get better.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Started surf fishing in late July at SPSP; the first few trips got skunked, then I joined P&S, asked a lot of questions and got a lot of great advice in return; then I started to catch my share of spot and croaker at SPSP. Also caught a few small striper there and a few blues.

After Sept. 15 and the hours at SPSP changed, started fishing the Tank. Caught one nice trout and my first keeper striper there. Then came the PLO cleanup and meet several members of P&S; great time, great food and great conversation with everyone, but no fish that day.

Fished PLO a couple of times after that and nothing.

Been fishing Cape Henlopen Pier lately and caught about a doz. ling cod and gave most to a co-worker who loves fish, not a bad fish to eat.

Hopefully am going to the Atlantic this weekend. Maybe around Fenwick.

All in all a great late summer and fall for me, not a lot of fish, too much rain and Isabell, but I had a great time fishing, meeting new friends and learning how to fish in the surf or on a pier.

Thanks again for everyone input.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd say this season for me was pretty good. Started fishing early april catching small whiting off the piers waiting for the bluefish to show up. May 6th they finally showed up and were all over the place, it was nothing to pull in 100+ blues a day on plugs. Also caught my first spanish mackerel that day and lost a few over 5lbs at the peir. As the summer went on work picked up and I didn't make it fishing as much as I'd hoped however I did make it down a few times to try my hand at king fishing the piers, caught a 5lbs citation sea trout while fishing for bait, had a cobia break off at the pier, and caught my first king mackerel this fall off a charter. as always it's just great getting out there meeting new people, and making new lifelong friends, catching fish is an added bonus. I hope the '04 season is even better, I know i'll be sittin a the end of the piers mid april waiting for the kings and bluefish to show up again :)

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi cocoflea,
This year could have been better
the stripers, bunch of schoolies no keepers. But I'm not realy complaining I'd rather the action then none. all surf

Fluke better, dozen give or take keepers up to 21+" jetty and boat

Blues...up the wazu highest 17 # off the surf

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't mention Fluke because it was a BAD year a VERY BAD year and we will leave it at that.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Its all perception

Last yr I considered my best yr so far but that was only cuz of my 2 fish over 30". I started this spring in April with more croaker caught than I had landed fish in 02. Determined to not be so Big fish oriented I managed to not get skunked this summer in Hatt.Granted they were small pompano an sea mullett but it was fish. Early fall gave me my 3 "big fish" a 4 pound black an red drum an a keeper striper a month too early. After that Izzy came an well th fishing has stunk since then for me but have made new friends from th P&S family which has made this yr a so so one fishing wise but a good one over all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
cocoflea said:
I didn't mention Fluke because it was a BAD year a VERY BAD year and we will leave it at that.
Sorry about that !
Happy Holidays and may next year put you up to your eye's in door mats.
Paul

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I scheduled a week in April, but it rained every day, except 1 day when the wind was too tough anyway. It ended up snowing at home (Asheville) on Thursday, lost power, wife called, tree feel on daughter's car, discovered a new hang-nail..... you get the idea, so I ended up with nothing to show for the week.

October was a little better. Over the week I had 5 fishable days. Had a nice croaker dinner one evening (with hushpuppies), which really makes the trip complete for me. Everything else went back in which included a number of small blues and spots, a few puffers, and 1 large very angry sting ray which gave me a nice workout.

Incidentally, I left my lucky fishin' hat in Asheville and had to scrounge to find something. It's hard to find a summer hat in October. I ended up with a strange looking "Bing Crosby" hat, but it did the job. So if you saw a weird looking Bing Crosby type dude in a blue ugly hat near Rodanthe in October, that was me
:)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I did really well this year on big reds, flounder and sharks. Biggest red this year was 43", caught while shark fishing. Biggest shark was approximately 6', a hammerhead, on #17 mono. Biggest flounder (from the shore) was 20", caught alot of them this year. I think next year, I'll be able to catch alot of flounder using my newfound flounder knowledge. (Thanks Jake):D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts