Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13’ rod casting 5 oz. My money’s on the shock leader knot ripping the spool and cup apart.

77F5546C-522C-47DA-BBC5-C165D7E7B2B7.jpeg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Likely options:

1: The push button will break before you can apply enough pressure to lock the line to cast.
2: The reel foot will break before the push button.
3: The shock leader knot ripping the spool and cup apart.

Let us know, inquiring minds want to know. :unsure:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a suggestion. Change to braid and use a braid shocker. If your using 15 lb. test you are probably using 30 shocker. Have you tried the the modified Albright Knot, its a small low profile knot that is easy to tie.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a suggestion. Change to braid and use a braid shocker. If your using 15 lb. test you are probably using 30 shocker. Have you tried the the modified Albright Knot, its a small low profile knot that is easy to tie.
Thanks Bill. That's probably the most logical thing to do, but the photo was mostly a gag. I have a strong suspicion that, regardless of the line or knot, the reel would explode half-way through a cast with 5 oz. of lead. Either the spool would get ripped off the spindle and tear through the cup, or the clutch mechanism would give out and I'd be in free-spool way too early. Either way, anything to my right would be in danger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you do decide to give it a go and say what the he11, please have someone video the preflight, flight and after affect. That would make a great PSA for young anglers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts