Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a new reel and rod a Penn 450 ssg and a 9ft St Croix Triumph surf rod. Need to know what type of line would be best. Will be used for surf fishing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Put some Ande Tournament Mono on it,will work great for the Surf.
Even better,,,back it up with 20 lb regular pink ande and then tie in 125 yards of 20 or 30 lb Berkely Crystal Fireline on the end side for casting. Unless your a real pro caster, you will never cast more than 125 yards into the ocean surf wind.

Ande is good backing and fighting line but Fireline will cast much further and give you no wind knots or birds nest...At $13.95 for 125 yards of Fireline, you are buying yourself the best casting abrasion resistance line there is.

I mean come on, someone spent some big bucks on that Penn for you and St Croix rods are never cheap,,,why go cheap on line?

PS: And it just gets better the more you use it and will last a long long long time.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
first, welcome. stick with mono unless you have experience with braid. use the manu. ratings for the reel and feel both out. good luck, enjoy. MY DAD lived in green cove springs.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Just received a new reel and rod a Penn 450 ssg and a 9ft St Croix Triumph surf rod. Need to know what type of line would be best. Will be used for surf fishing. Thanks
9' is the perfect jetty size rod but a little too short to allow for long distance metal-slinging in the surf. If you have two spools, I would put 15 lb mono on one spool for the surf, and 30 lb braid on the other for the jetty...

Just my .02...

Sandcrab

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.