Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking opinions on what type/brand of line to use for shockleader for maximum distance.

Just plain mono? Or something else? Brand recommendations?

(I'm familiar with the ~10x rule-of-thumb for line strength vs lead weight).

Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
generic

40acres,

I'm no expert as you know. But, I use 50lbs from BassPro shops or any place I can find it. I mainly look for a color that is easily spotted in grass, in case I break off. You want something that is inexpensive. Why, because between breaking off and sharing, it could become costly. Especially if you are using some of the more exoctic line.
Now some people have line specifically for practice and line specifically for tournaments.
Just my 2 cents worth,

·
Registered
681 Posts
inquiring minds want to know

What do I know, but wouldn't using braid shock leader defeat the purpose? I always thought that people used braid for long distance bite detection. That being the case, why put braid on mono? Yes it could be done but why? Just asking

·
Registered
35 Posts
it seemed like a good idea at the time? Lol...

Actually, I decided to use the braid because it was the thinnest diameter stuff I had around with good strength.. My thinking was, the thinner the shock leader, the smaller the albright knot to join them...

Remember now, i"m a newbie when it comes to surf fishing..

but I guess I made a major faux pas here? I'm not so worried about cutting myself because I only use 20 feet of it on a baitcasting reel, so really only my thumb touches it.. but what other bad qualities does braid have as a shock leader?

( btw... when I use white, it's really easy to see it against the water.... hmm.. wonder if it's the same for the fish..)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Most braids have a very good Breaking strain the diameter ratio, however they have very little 'Shock' Strength.

If you make a slow pull on braid - great, try a quick snatch and it parts like cotton.

If your cast ain't smooth then it's goodbye sinker.

Anthony has rasied a valid point - you can get through a lot of leader, find one that you can see and fits your budget, but remember it's your SAFETY link.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.