Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be perfectly honest, it's been a long time since I've fished for stripers off the beach. Most of my beach action has been in the sands of Buxton/OBX and it wasn't targeting rockfish. Most of my striper time has been sitting inside a boat trolling for them.

For the time being, I'm residing in a place that is 4 house off the Bay (just north of the gas docks) and it would be a shame not to drown some bait being so close to the water. And with the weather as nice as it's been, I know I am running out of opportunities.

In the spring, I believe the bait of choice is typically bloodworms. How about this time of year? If not bloodworms (alewives/mullet, etc.), where abouts can I pick up fresh bait in southern Maryland?

Thanks in advance for any input. As much fishing as I've done in my life, I feel general "bad" about asking "what bait to use" but I rather get the right answer rather than assume and be wrong.

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd be using peeler or soft crab. They'll be hard to come by soon, but are excellent baits.
Soft crab is generally a little more expensive and harder to keep on the hook, but at least you still have a meal if fishing isn't great.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am formerly a Waldorf guy so my "bait" options was Fred's Sports .......... and I generally don't like giving them money. What's around in Calvert or St. Mary's that would carry bunker or peelers?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
The biggest problem you'll have this time of year up the bay is getting fresh. Most shops carry frozen but it washes off too easily and has little to no scent. Find a local seafood market to get some mullet or spot. Like ESRob said peelers are always great, but expensive and tough to come by this time of year. Good luck out there!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a chance to hit the sand Sunday afternoon. Just found a break in the day and a couple of hours so I paid no mind to tides, etc. Found some frozen soft shells not too far away and used that as bait. Ultimately they didn't stay on too long nor do I think I was in a very good spot. Next time I will actually walk down the jetty which is about 250' long.

But, it was nice to drown some bait while watching the little ones run around and get their feet wet. Even got my 7 year old some practice time slinging metal on a 12' Tica. By the 25th cast, he was tossing em straight. Ha. I told him not to worry, it won't be long before he finds the sweet spot and is screaming them out there.

Next outing I will find me some bunker and see what's sniffing around.

Good times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts