Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry for sounding ignorrant, but while scanning a couple of threads in this forum for the first time my initial reaction was that everyone in here are a bunch of liars. How in the world can someone cast for almost 800ft, let alone, even half that distance? :jawdrop: I'm a pretty strong athletic guy who's been fishing since I was a baby, but the farthest I've ever casted was probably 200ft (just from eyeing the distance, no actual measurment). Plus, I have never actually seen anyone that casted that much farther than I have. Thus my second guess was that "all these casters must have REALLY super-expensive equipment." Even if not, anything is possible right?

So my first question is how do I get started in this Distance Casting sport?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm probably one of the worst casters on this board (a proud member of The Hallowed Remedial Group), and I cast about 400'. I can cast about 300' using my daughter's 9' rod with a zebco spincast reel.

I've personally seen several of these people cast over 600', and a couple cast around 800'. I've seen 'em do it with all sorts of equipment, although it doesn't hurt to have better stuff :)

You just missed the Sportscast USA tournament (winner did over 800 - see earlier posts in this forum). Also, go to www.longcasters.org for more info on a distance casting club local to MD/DC (which sports a former US champion, this year's 3rd place champ, and the top 2 women in the US). There are clubs all around the country, and these are the best way imho to get to know the people involved in the sport, most of whom will be more than happy to take on a new student! There are clinics held around the country with world distance casting champions.

There are books on the sport (Ron Arra for one) and videos (Neil Mackellow's and Nick from Breakaway I believe).

·
Registered
223 Posts
(By the way, one of the guys brought his 13 y.o. son to a practice clinic and the kid cast over 300', his first time. So, size and strength are not the most important thing - it's all a matter of technique and a bit of coordination. It helps a bunch to have someone who knows what they're doing work with you).

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
tdoan one of the main reasons you never see casters that can cast that long is because they are practicing so much. Take a trip out to the OBX and eye some of the people out there and you should see some of them longcasters chunking 8nabait. I have noticed most of the longcasters frequent surf more than piers due to the fact of room for the type of casts they do. I know it sounds unbelievable but they are out there. Technique, skill, and equipment and most importantly PRACTICE!:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
tdoan21,

The key is timing and technique, much more so that sheer althletic ability, although that does not hurt.

There are rod and reel outfits costing less than $250.00 that will allow many to cast over 600+, with practice, although most of the really good casters have much more invested in equipment.

It is not an elitist sport, there are classes for different levels of proficiency.

Blaine :)
sportcastusa.org

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So for staters, what brand/kind of rod and reel should I get?

Tommy,
I'm from Alexandria, VA but grew up in Columbia, MD.

·
Registered
273 Posts
casting

Tdoan
Come to Anacostia park any Saturday morning between 9am and 2pm
We practice there every weekend. I am going out of town and won't be there but others willing to help will be there. Ask for Earl or Charlie. When you enter the park come down to the right past skating rink as far as you can and look for a group of guys with casting rods.
bob

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tdoan,
Where in Alexandria do you live? Charlie and I just moved to Alexandria close to Mount Vernon. I'm sure Charlie would love to cast with you. He practices through the week at Grist Mill Park on 235, near where we live.
Candy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info Bob and Candy. I'll try to go out there as mush as I can, depending on the mood of the wife :rolleyes:

Candy,
I live at the Park Center, right off 395 and King street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts