Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is all of us surf and pier fisherman just having the worst time of our lives here fishing. What the heck happened:(
This summer hasn't been that good. There has been numerous posts on how much undersized flounder have been caught.
Shiiiiissssh!!! One guy said in a post that he had caught about 500 flounder this year and not one of them was a keeper!!!!!!
(I think I might of miss read that one though. I doubt it was really 500 but I do remember it being a big number).

Skunk!Skunk!Skunk!Skunk!Skunk!Skunk! Thats all I've mostly been reading on the message boards here in Virginia, where I do live.Then of course the big one comes, no I'm not talking about fish. You know what I'm talking about.

Hurricane Isabelle.

"What the Heck" That's all I can say. There goes most of the piers, the beaches are mest up along the whole coast of both Virginia and North Carolina. I gues we can blame Isabelle for a lot especially the absence of the drum this year.

Last year wasn't that big of a year either. Though there was a big striper run last winter but there was even a downside to that which scared a lot of fisherman, the sores on some of the stripers that were. This year I hope we'll have just as big of a run as last year with less diseased fish......

"Striper fishing"

My friend's dad might bring me, him, and another guy striper fishing from the shore along the CBBT. Thinking about using a fisfinder rigged with a circle hook. Hoping to get some baitfish somewhere. Wish me good luck.
:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I'm hearing from lots of mid-Atlantic anglers that this is shaping up to be a rotten season.

Could have been the consistently cold water that prevented the heavy growth of plankton this summer, which eventually collapsed the inshore food chain, could have been Isabel...who knows.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Just like the qoute from Field of Dreams:"If you fish it,they will come".

StingRay,The fish are there,but it really is a matter of being @ the right place @ the right time.I just started a new family(18 mos old daughter)so I relish all the time I get to wet a line(Sometimes it means no sleep),but I think because I put all the time in,aka scoping new places,and trying different things(was once a predominate bait soaker)I have been fortunate to catch some nice fish.
yeah fishing is slow right now,but will heat up when the temps drop.

My best advice is try something different when you are out.If you are a bottom fisherman,toss some artificals,and vice-vesa.

There are fish out there,trust me,but its just a matter of the time and effort placed in getting to them.

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts:D

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
SRL,

Checked Oceanview for schooling rock (NOT) while slinging a Stingsilver for ~15-20mins blind at noon today (11/11) - nada. Then, took my girls to beach @ Lesner/Duck Inn side and cast w/them Storm WE plastics and MirrOlures for 30-45mins around 5pm - no soap :(

Agree w/NS4D "right place-right time" at this point keep rod in truck, spot check for the birds workin', and fish when ya can. I should fish more bait from beach, but with such limited windows of time I tend not to versus boat trips where live bait is a must or OBX where you must have fresh cut bait.

My call look for tomorrow, schooling Rock in Oceanview ~11th Bay 9-10am window. Otherwise your guess is as good as mine ;)

Good fishin' and an even better catch,

`bucket

·
Registered
239 Posts
You arent alone, SRL

It has been the worst year for me. I just got back from my second weekend at OBX without the first fish. I trolled the hrbt for 1/2 day last week-nada. numerous skunks in between. I figure one day im gonna go out and land a 300 pound bluefin on the shore-or get hit by a [email protected]#$ meteor with the wierd luck iv'e had.

True Story: During Isabel I had a skunk crawl underneath my house and hang out right under my office desk (where I am sitting now) for a week. The unmistakable funk was centered right were I sit THIS IS NO LIE!!! What was I supposed to do? go and crawl up under there after it? I could have just gone down to the pawn shop with all my stuff after that kind of omen!:barf:

So here I sit waiting and dreaming of the day that the funky skunk omen is gone.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
True Story: During Isabel I had a skunk crawl underneath my house and hang out right under my office desk (where I am sitting now) for a week.
Man that sucks, I drove over(didn't hit) a skunk th other night an th smell was with me for 15 min. I'll take being skunked over your deal any day. :eek:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dayum…..ROTF, that is some bad luck fishwagon!

Keep your chin up man, its bound to get better cause it doesn’t sound like it can get much worse!;)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Bloody Marys anyone?

Familiar with the saying........"the drinks are on you?" Well some around you might take that literally. For those who are smokers, I sure hope they hold the alcohol.:rolleyes:

Spring 2004 is right around the corner.:cool:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Good advice from Nserch!!!

While the season has left MUCH to be desired, I would think that Nserch's comments/ suggestions are well placed. These are indeed the times when we, as fisherman, can learn A LOT about our fishing and the fish's availability. There are fish here. The conditions are NOT yet right. Try something new and be a better fisherman. maybe this blow will turn 'em on again. Man o man, do I ever hope so!!!!!!! Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>
:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wasn't able to go surf fishing. But instead I went to Little Creek Amphibious Base to fish a lake called "Bradford Lake."

Was able to get some shiners which I fished on the bottom with a fishfinder. Caught:

13inch crappie (friend caught)
19inch bowfin
23inch bowfin (friend caught)

The crappie really surprised me though. Most of the action happened in the morning and then just stopped at 12:30 with no more fish till 3:00, then went home. Thought it was going to be a really good day at first.

Can't wait to get back saltwater fishing and good luck to whoever is:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts