Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe my dismal hook-up rate is because of the size line I'm using.

I have a 6' light action rod with 8 lb test that I use for light artificials.

I use a 9' and a 12' Shakespeare, both spooled with 20 lb test for the surf.

Am I using too much line for the critters around here, or am I truly just a "Fish Free Zone"?

I was thinking about switching to a 15 lb test line on the 9 footer, and keeping 20 lb on the 12 footer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Doesnt seem like the line should be a problem, but if you think it may be, switch to a flurocarbon leader and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You could always try braided line. It's more costly and it takes a lot more to fill up a spool but since there is no stretch, you will feel every bite and nibble which could help you with your hook set. Just don't go crazy and put it on everything you own.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Mark I have 30# on the Biggins Pole , 15# on the 10ft pomp pole and use less on the river pole for artifical . Sounds like your good to go to me .

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice.

I may step up to 30# on the 12 footer in the event something with sharp, pointy teeth happens to swim by.

I also may try spooling my 9 footer with braided like Anthony suggested. I usually spike my big pole, but I like holding the 9 footer for while, just in case something hits it a few minutes after I get the bait out there.

According to the latest WX forecast, Saturday looks like it may get a little rainy, and the winds appear to be picking up coming from the east in the late morning. But since the weatherman "skunked" me last week, I'm gonna go give it a shot anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts