Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been surf fishing for almost a 1 year now and I'm still new to it. And I'm still having trouble casting out past the surf. I havn't really gotten and salt water gear before because I don't know what good gear is.

For the last year I've used a 7' catfish rod and some kind of shakespeare reel(not that great) with 30 lb. line. With that I set up a steel leader with 2 hooks in the middle and a 3 oz weight at the bottom. Thats all I really know how to do. I've caught little reef sharks and a couple 70+ lb stingray thats it.

Should I go down to a lighter weight line for distance? What would be sufficient? I'm trying to catch good sized fish and sharks, so... I'm clueless on gear too. What is some good gear to get ex. Rod/reel?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been surf fishing for almost a 1 year now and I'm still new to it. And I'm still having trouble casting out past the surf. I havn't really gotten and salt water gear before because I don't know what good gear is.

For the last year I've used a 7' catfish rod and some kind of shakespeare reel(not that great) with 30 lb. line. With that I set up a steel leader with 2 hooks in the middle and a 3 oz weight at the bottom. Thats all I really know how to do. I've caught little reef sharks and a couple 70+ lb stingray thats it.

Should I go down to a lighter weight line for distance? What would be sufficient? I'm trying to catch good sized fish and sharks, so... I'm clueless on gear too. What is some good gear to get ex. Rod/reel?

for sharks and other big fish i would get a penn 9500, a 12' 6-12oz ocean master spinning rod and 65lb power pro.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
As Kenny said the Bible is a great place to start. I would also look into upgrading your gear if possible. A longer rod and some thinner line would help with distance, as would a quality reel. You don't have to break the bank either. Many fish are caught on cheapo WalMart surf combos. Once you get that sorted out, look at the Distance Casting forum for tips on how to improve your form, as that will make the most difference regardless of what gear you're using.

·
Registered
495 Posts
youll see a lot of guys here catching 40-50lb fish on only 15-20lb test. so you can offord to downgrade a little. youll get better distance as well as more line capacity... its a give and take. but if your throwing a lot of lead you may want incorperate a shock leader into your setup (check the bible - drum rig 101)

also, a 8-10' rod, even from kmart will help you with distance. no need to break the bank if you dont want to go all out. as long as your catching fish and having fun, who cares?:)

:fishing:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You could go to 20 lb. mono and handle plenty of fish with a quality reel and properly adjusted drag. As noted on previous threads, you could get a nice Shimano Baitrunner or Daiwa BG for under $100 on sale. As fishingadam said there are also combos like the Penn/Oceanmaster that you can check out in the Bass Pro Shops saltwater catalog or local bait&tackle store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a 12 Beefstick rod med/heavy from Bass Pro shop for $36. It is a back up pole for when my brother-inlaw goes fishing with me he likes to break things. but I have used with an old Ryobia reel with Suffix and I really like the feel of the pole

·
Registered
572 Posts

As mentioned above....good advice...first thing would be to lighten up on the line....go down to 17-20# mono, you can put a tremendous amount of pressure with good quality 17-20# mono. You need to learn how to tie a shock knot that you TRUST and can tie GOOD and have CONFIDENCE IN for starters along with some lighter line. If you run 17-20# mono, then use a 40-50# shorter section (shock) line on the end near your rig to give you assurance of preventing a breakoff during casting and it will also help you when you have a large fish/shark in the suds when it is time to beach the fish. Shock line length should be enough to wrap the knot around your spool 3-5 times run the length of the rod, out the tip and down to where you usually let whatever rig you particular are going to use for the application that day hang. Lighter line will give you a increasingly amount of more distance than you would get with using 30# and with the shock on the end you and other angler around you should be safe.

I would suggest for you to not spend the cash into purchasing the first thing that comes along with out either trying it out or asking around. Just like autos, I wouldn't get one without driving it first, same thing with rods, even if you use your own reel with their rod. Yes, not getting as far as you would like....probably part of it is yourself, but a 7ft rod anywhere isn't a distance getter on the beach.

I know the Shimano baitrunner series of reels are time trusted and along with some newer models of Shimano reels called Spheros, which If I am not mistaken have a waterproof drag also. Rods ...dont' go all the time by the weight ratings printed on the blank. Some manafactures overrate their rods in a wide range of weight and the true test of what she'll do is to ask from guys that have thrown that rod or do it yourself. Good luck, and lots of info on here. Search around and yo'll find lots.

Reelturner

·
Registered
93 Posts
All good info

If you want to use your current equipment (7' rod is really too short) Then drop down to 17-20 lb mono, add about 20' of 50 lb mono for a shock leader. Increase your weight to 5-6 oz

Best bet, pick up an inexpensive 10' surf combo. :)

·
Banned
328 Posts
Mo B, your using the wromg tool for the job. I'll sell you something decent (used) for about $100-!50, but you can't fish the surf with a 7 foot rod with 30# test line. Drop the line down to 10# or so and you'll have a chance. Get a decent 10-12' rod with 17# and you'll have a better chance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go to your local tackle shop and repeat what you just posted to the clerks. I'm sure they would be happy to help you.

Also take that 30 lb line off. It's way too big. Re-spool with 15lb mono or copolymer and use the combo for lure throwing or bait catching when its slow.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sounds like everyone has covered all the bases for you. I will suggest you look at some distance casting vids on youtube. Using just a simple off the ground cast I was able to double my distance with only 3 practice casts. It really is amazing what a better technique will do for you. Good luck and have fun out there this season

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.