Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on fishing next fall instead of that loooong ride to OBX take the 5 hour ride to Ocean Lakes. I'm thinking sometime mid October hoping to catch a red or two would be great, some keeper flounder would be just as good. A decent size Spanish, trout or bluefish will work too :).

My question is what rods to bring? It's a lot of difference in the beach between OBX throwing 6 - 8 ounces&bait and the Grand Strand. I've got a 12' conventional 4 - 10 ounce, 11' casting 2 - 6 ounce, two 10' spinning 1 - 4 ounce, 7 ft spinning MH, several 7' casting MH. I don't want to bring them all but just what I need. My wife needs a place to ride, lol

I'd like to fish the surf some and also fish the north and south jetty area. I do have a homemade beach cart :eek:. I'm not much of a pier guy, I like a little room to maneuver :redface:

Lastly what weight jigs are you guys throwing with gulp or bait?

I fish upstate lakes (with a boat) but when my feet are on the sand I'm lost.... thanks for any help/info. I have read the sticky (several times) on newbie info....good info. I do know how to tie a double drop rig without any hardware (a golf pro showed me when I fished Cherry Grove pier 25 years ago. He was out catching me while spot fishing 3 to 1, lol)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is bring the 12,one 10ft, and the 7ft mMh.And you have near to far covered, and good luck
And where in the upstate are you, im in Anderson county

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I'm planning on fishing next fall instead of that loooong ride to OBX take the 5 hour ride to Ocean Lakes. I'm thinking sometime mid October hoping to catch a red or two would be great, some keeper flounder would be just as good. A decent size Spanish, trout or bluefish will work too :).

My question is what rods to bring? It's a lot of difference in the beach between OBX throwing 6 - 8 ounces&bait and the Grand Strand. I've got a 12' conventional 4 - 10 ounce, 11' casting 2 - 6 ounce, two 10' spinning 1 - 4 ounce, 7 ft spinning MH, several 7' casting MH. I don't want to bring them all but just what I need. My wife needs a place to ride, lol

I'd like to fish the surf some and also fish the north and south jetty area. I do have a homemade beach cart :eek:. I'm not much of a pier guy, I like a little room to maneuver :redface:

Lastly what weight jigs are you guys throwing with gulp or bait?

I fish upstate lakes (with a boat) but when my feet are on the sand I'm lost.... thanks for any help/info. I have read the sticky (several times) on newbie info....good info. I do know how to tie a double drop rig without any hardware (a golf pro showed me when I fished Cherry Grove pier 25 years ago. He was out catching me while spot fishing 3 to 1, lol)
You don't need the heavers unless it's stormy/windy. Usually 3 will hold just fine. I have a few 4s, 5s, and a couple 6s just in case but if you need 5 or 6 it's time to go to the pier...
Bring something you can catch a 40" drum on and 6-7' sharks if you want to land them outside of Horry county... Light 7' fiberglass rods with a cheap reel are great for pompano and whiting with fleas. A rod or two for throwing small chunks and live finger mullet for bluefish. They'll run 3 lbs or less usually. Add a heavy freshwater bass rod spinning or casting for throwing the bucktails and you're good to go.

I make 3/4 oz sparkie bucktail jigs. 10-12" up tie a dropper or surgeon's loop and loop on a plain sharp J hook. 20-30 lb fluorocarbon.

Fish from the last wave to 10 feet off the beach.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys that helps tremendously!!

lawless I'm in upper Greenwood County (about 10 - 15 miles from Casey Ashley's home, lol)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts