Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am form VA and just recently started fishing in MD. Could someone please tell me what a Weakie is. I have fished SPSP, last week as well as Matapeake the last 2 weeks. I always have my to boys with me. I am am 6'3" blk guy. You might remeber the Bright Redish Suffix line I have on my pole. I anyone out there knows JJ or Mack please tell them to hit me up on this sight so we can get together and do some more Drinking, OOPPSS I ment Fishing. :cool: :) ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Weakies is short for weakfish or seatrout. Also known as the grey trout but don't confuse it with the speckled trout. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've never met anyone who used the term "weakie" or weakfish who wasn't originally from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or points north.

The "official" common name for Sea Trout is Weakfish.

However, "Sea Trout" for weakfish is pretty much universally used by natives of Maryland and Delaware.

In Virginia, "Grey Trout" is used for Weakfish by natives.

However, as you go down the Southeast Coast, people often use "Sea Trout" to describe Speckled trout.

A few old-timers around here also use the term "Yellowfin trout" for Weakfish, but that is dying out.

In New England, a few old-timers call Weakfish "Squeateagues."

If you think that's bad don't let me get started on "Alewives," "Bunkers" and "Pogies" :)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
What about TOG? I prefer blackfish myself. :)

..and hogies...and..wedges...and torpedo's..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sandcrab..the first time you ordered a "wedge" in Maryland you must have received the same look I got! Oh by the way, it's pizza "pie", right?!?!?.
Where did you get your pies in Peekskill?
And my father used to bring home Blackfish...way before I heard the term "tog".
Rockfish....no, it's a Striper.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
SH,

We had five pizza pie places in Peekskill. At 4 AM on a Saturday morning (after the bars closed), you had to wait on line OUTSIDE the place to get a slice. Most of them are all gone. Now there is no place to get something to "knosh on" after a party night!

·
Registered
59 Posts
(True Story) I was just out fishing with my Brother, who I fish with a lot, and his son who is in college (who doesn't fish much, had been out on a couple Chesapeake charter trips) on a charter trip out of Lewes Monday. We limited on Tog (kept only Males) in about an hour, and caught 8 stripers the rest of the day.

When we got back, his son said "Boy, those Stripers are a lot like Rockfish, aren't they?"

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
LOL! :D Funny thing huh - They look the same whether you go North or South of the Mason-Dixon line...

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Someone tell me if I am wrong,the reason they call them weakfish is because of there weak mouth tissues.If brought in too hard,or the drag too tight,you can pull the hooks out of there mouth.

I have been having success catching them @ Willoby Spit in VA,using various coler 4 inch Storm Wildeye Shads on lite spinning gear.Though this week i have seen a few caught on blood worms and squid while bottom fishing.
The fish being caught are often in the 3-4 lbs range.I have missed a few because of too hard of a hook set.I learned to let the fish hit the lure for a second and reeel in gently,then set the hook.

But then again ,thats just me.

My .02 cents.....keep the change

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yep, they have a "weak" mouth, thus the nickname. Been fishing the De Bay the better part of over 40 years, and Sea Trout, AKA Weakfish, at least on the De side, have also simply been referred to as "Trout". I.E. - if it ain't a speck, it's just a trout. If you asked somebody at the ramp what they caught and they said "trout", you knew what they meant.

·
Registered
680 Posts
big will is right for a change. but don't give slack as they wil just spit it out. i had to will, you were wide open on it. :) :cool: :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
On the subject of tog, I guess that I'm really dating myself but 40 years ago in Jersey, they were called slippery bass. Haven't heard that name since. Now if you want a fish with lots of names, nothin better than the one known locally as the sea mullet. He also goes by Kingfish, whiting, Virginia mullet, round head, and probably a few more that I don't know. Great eating by any name.
Granpa

·
Registered
59 Posts
The NMFS websites have a list of all "common names" they've encountered for each species...many have dozens and dozens.

The BEST one is "Yodeling Trout" for Croakers.

I'd really like to know where THAT one is from :)

Another really confusing one is "Hardhead". In the Gulf of Mexico they're an annoying spiny saltwater catfish that is considered a trash fish, not croakers. I've seen boards where Gulfers were amazed that people on the East Coast were actually fishing for "hardheads."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts