Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried gator spoons (works good), storms (all types but it seems the hook placement on the lure is too high and I keep on losing the tails and not hooking the fish), I have also tried using Mirro Lures which seem to work for everyone but me! I am going to Chicks tonite and Im going to try out a Popper (top water lure) If you could share your secrets I will greatly appreciate it.:)

·
Registered
374 Posts
That's a tough question. Selecting a lure has many variables such as location, time of year, available bait, etc. Study the bait in your area and pay close attention more to the size and profile of the baitfish. Try to match your lure selection accordingly.

Storm shads have always been excellent producers for me but when I get a lot of tail bite offs they usually go back in the plug bag. That's a good indication that toothy fish like blues are in the area so you can expect more bite offs.

Typically your chances of hooking up on topwater are a lot less than fishing lower in the water column. If you're not having any success with your surface plug, try adding a fly like a Clouser Minnow or Left Deceiver ahead of it to simulate a chase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joey

very good info. Ill have to try it out. Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Short Bites

Sometimes when your getting continuous short bite offs it pays to slip a 3/0 or 4/0 hook onto the tail hook on your spoon as a trailer and that starts hooking all the short bites you were getting before. Even if its just trailing out there and not in a skirt it still will eliminate the bite offs and the lost jig and skirt tails .
Give it a shot and good luck,
Bull Dawg

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Match the hatch.
When I cleaned my first striper of the year the other night, I checked her stomach sac and found a whole glass minnow. I then put it next to the lure that I used that night and it matched to a tee. The lure was basically a green/white, short, stubby stingsilver with metallic sides and black dots for eyes.

Rat-l traps in blue/silver are a must have at Chic's and seem to always produce.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
custom storm

I was out at lesner bridge last nite from 8-10pm and I was using my MirrOlure (white with red eyes and silver sides) and caught a bunch of small striper. I also customizied a storm just by adding a hook into the tail of the 4" storm, didnt get a chance to use it yet but I'll keep ya posted.
Thanks for the posts guys! Ill definatly use that helpful info. See yall out there!
Danny;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blue Fox Vibrax Spin

Has anyone tried using the inline Spinners for the Stripers. I know that the blades will rust due to the salt, but I have always had really good luck catching stripers and hybrids using them. Especially the road runners. Usually the white does very well. I know these are freshwater fish, but I would think that they would tend to think the same. You might have to look around to find the larger 3/4 oz or the 1 1/2 oz, but they might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
SC,
Funny you should mention that. A couple months back I had the hardest time trying to get some dink stripers breaking the surface to take my lures in the salt. Luckily, I had my freshwater trout box in the car. Started catching almost on every cast with 1/12th oz Castmasters, 1/8th oz Roostertails and the smaller Vibrax spinners you mentioned. A lot of fun on freshwater ultra light gear. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rooster Tails

Yeah they do produce really well. I think they make them in larger sizes, but it seems like there has not been a great demand for them. Which is really sad.:(

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Favorite Striper lures

1. Rebel Windcheater in in the larger 1 -1/2 oz sizes.
2. Any ZoYuri topwater plug.
3. Floating Saltwater Rapala's ("Burple" color)

Get into the habit of putting a swivel on to the end of your main line and adding a 24" length of 50# leader material followed by a snap. To the top swivel, I always tie on a teaser fly. Many a nights, the stripers will take the teaser. Fish exclusively at night for stripers. :)

Just my .02

·
Registered
291 Posts
definantly a 1 oz white bucktail with an uncle josh 5 inch pork rind white colored and then splitailed. If they are on the surface though its a creek chub striper strike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts