Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 foot diawa rod and reel is that good for cobia.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
How much line capasity on the reel?? You don't always have to cast heavy leads. And "elephants eat peanuts too",so ya don't always have to throw big baits at them as well.. :D That rod and reel combo sounds more like something I'd put a jig on and cast to them,and there are other options if you want to baitfish for them. ;) You may want to look at the TICA or OM 12fters.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reel

it can hold up to 325 yards of mono but i have a good 350-400 yards on it of power pro. Is that good?:D

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Re: reel

Fishendude15 said:
it can hold up to 325 yards of mono but i have a good 350-400 yards on it of power pro. Is that good?:D
That should be fine as far as capasity.Should be no problem with the braid,as long as you,either tape the line to the spool or put on mono backing so the line doesn't slip on the spool, tie good knots and pack the line on the reel tight.. Somehow in my mind I think you are talking spinning reel? Which is fine,just not sure about that rod for bait? What is it rated to throw?If it is rated up to 4 you may want to designate that rod to throwing jigs at them..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 9ft Diawa Elimator spinner rod with a K mart $19.95 big water reel on it. If you have the same rod its a good sea mullet rod or good for tossing out a fireball rig for blues. It will toss 4oz but that's about it.
I also use it as my loaner rod. Whenever we go to the OBX in the spring or summer someone always comes along that doesn't have any gear. I let em fish with that and i don't have worry about when it gets dunked in the ocean or left if the spike that falls over and has surf lapping lapping over it for twenty minutes while there off hunting sea shells.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts