Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 560 penn slammer and need a rod for 100.00 give or take just a few ok i need to cast 3oz weights with shrimp and finger mullet bait looking hard at the tsunami air wave 10ft mh but not sure if it will be right and i fish for trout whiting and flonder and blues from the surf and piers and what line should i use on this reel to get good distance thanks !!!

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
The Airwave should do OK I think. Depends on the tip, someone who has one can chime in. For fishing for flounder straight down on piers it may be a bit long but will work fine for the rest of what you want. Another good option is the Tica 10' 6". The 10'6" is supposed to have a better tip for smaller fish than the 10 footer. Nothing wrong with a 9 footer if you don't care about big distances from the surf, it'll work fine for the pier, but so will the 10.

For the line I'd use a good 12-15 lb test. BBG, Sufix Tritanium Plus if you can find a spool, ect. Search for line on here and you'll find plenty of info. Braid is a fine option too. Get the 15-20 lb test equivalent.

If you're power casting with 3 oz sinkers on 12-15 lb line, you'd probably need a small shock leader (30-40 lb test) but snap casting I'd say you're fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also cannot decide on a rod. I have a 30sha I am trying to get put on a rod, but it's not easy to find a rod that can handle 6+bait for some distance. Plus, I just can't drop over $100 on a rod right now, so that leaves out a custom. I bought a Penn Pro guide rod that I have it on for now, but I really don't feel like I can really "unload" when I throw it.
Plus, I have another question. I hear that new spinning reels can cast just as far as any conventional. Can anyone suggest a brandname to check into? for casting some distance I mean. Is it spool design that makes the difference? Or again, is it the rod you're using, and I just don't have the right one yet.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I also cannot decide on a rod. I have a 30sha I am trying to get put on a rod, but it's not easy to find a rod that can handle 6+bait for some distance. Plus, I just can't drop over $100 on a rod right now, so that leaves out a custom. I bought a Penn Pro guide rod that I have it on for now, but I really don't feel like I can really "unload" when I throw it.
Plus, I have another question. I hear that new spinning reels can cast just as far as any conventional. Can anyone suggest a brandname to check into? for casting some distance I mean. Is it spool design that makes the difference? Or again, is it the rod you're using, and I just don't have the right one yet.
tica xheavy is good for me. and yes the new long spooled reels loaded with braid can get you out there as far tica dolphin and daiwa Emcast are two choices sgt recomends at the lower end I have a smaller long spool tica on a 7' with pp that seams like a good reel the first tica I have owned nice reel for the money if they dont get you out as far it will be close and mabe farther we a waiting to see but at least you dont have blowups trying to get max distance

9rock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks !!

The Airwave should do OK I think. Depends on the tip, someone who has one can chime in. For fishing for flounder straight down on piers it may be a bit long but will work fine for the rest of what you want. Another good option is the Tica 10' 6". The 10'6" is supposed to have a better tip for smaller fish than the 10 footer. Nothing wrong with a 9 footer if you don't care about big distances from the surf, it'll work fine for the pier, but so will the 10.

For the line I'd use a good 12-15 lb test. BBG, Sufix Tritanium Plus if you can find a spool, ect. Search for line on here and you'll find plenty of info. Braid is a fine option too. Get the 15-20 lb test equivalent.

If you're power casting with 3 oz sinkers on 12-15 lb line, you'd probably need a small shock leader (30-40 lb test) but snap casting I'd say you're fine.
thanks for the info smoothlures !!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just keep an eye out on the marketplace. Many good rods sold for $100.00 or less. Just take your time. No good fishing now, so wait till a good deal pops up. MOst surf rods on the board are in great shape and often 1/2 the price of a new rod.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I live close to you, I have several rods you could cast to see if you like them. I have a ballistic, custom rod, and a AFAW 6 n bait. let me know and we can get together sometime. Maybe that will let you keep your money untill you find the right rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.