Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am at Topsail Island for the week and I'm going to try to do some surf fishing. I've never really fished before except trolling for Mahi deep in the ocean.

I was wondering if there were any good guides to getting started with surf fishing and where some good spots would be on Topsail Island. I also might try some pier fishing if you guys have any good tips for that. I saw Nissan11's post with pictures from his fishing week and they caught some huge fish.

I am down here with some people who fish a little so I'm using their equipment, but it seems to be generally good for surf fishing based on stuff I've read on the internet so far.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey guys,

I am at Topsail Island for the week and I'm going to try to do some surf fishing. I've never really fished before except trolling for Mahi deep in the ocean.

I was wondering if there were any good guides to getting started with surf fishing and where some good spots would be on Topsail Island. I also might try some pier fishing if you guys have any good tips for that. I saw Nissan11's post with pictures from his fishing week and they caught some huge fish.

I am down here with some people who fish a little so I'm using their equipment, but it seems to be generally good for surf fishing based on stuff I've read on the internet so far.

Thanks for any advice!
From what I am seeing on Facebook they are killing Bull Red Drum off all the piers. Hit the piers up and watch what they guys are doing. Pretty good chance they will tell you what's going on and how they are catching. Hit up East Coast Sports and they are always full if information too. #1 tip use fresh bait and not the frozen stuff no matter what you do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try the pier out some today. What would be the best time to go? I've read that it's best to go at high or low tides when the tide is moving in or out, so would 430 be a good time to go today? Also can you catch fish at night (like a little before midnight) on the pier?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed on the fresh bait. South Topsail is my favorite beach to fish, though significant NE or SE winds can make keeping your line out a challenge. Generally if you look, you can find a place in front of one of the public accesses with a slough right on the edge of the beach. Look for steep sections of the beach with lots of shells, look for muddy water running out. The slough on either side of the muddy water running straight out is usually productive. The best fish i have caught down there were within 100 ft of the sandspike. Yes you can wade out and throw out to the edge of the bar, but if you spend a few minutes looking there are a lot of deep water holes that are easy to fish.

The point is usually productive too if you are up for a walk. Too many crazy people with no clue how to drive respectfully on the beach and a lousy very narrow section of beach at high tide make it a miserable beach driving experience to the south end.

·
Registered
869 Posts
From what I am seeing on Facebook they are killing Bull Red Drum off all the piers. Hit the piers up and watch what they guys are doing. Pretty good chance they will tell you what's going on and how they are catching. Hit up East Coast Sports and they are always full if information too. #1 tip use fresh bait and not the frozen stuff no matter what you do.
Big drum have been hitting on Kure beach pier also if he goes further south.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts