Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fishing has really turned off in general from one end of the bay to the other over the last couple of weeks. Everyone says the the water temp. is still too high. At the rate were're going rock season will be over before the water is cold enough. The guys over on Tidal Fish are marking fish but no takers. Those that are caught are far and few between. This time last year you could limit out in a couple of hours. The only guaranteed catch right now are white perch. Hope things pick up for the Smack Down at PLO next Sunday.

Catman.

·
Registered
285 Posts
catman, not sure how much fuel your boat holds but try making a run down the bay to the power plant and petrolium plant. If you can get some live bait (Spot or white perch) try some live bait fishing or trolling some live bait through the maze of pilings at the petrolium plant. As far as lures I havne't done much lure fishing in that area except throwing gotchas for blues. The water around the petrolium plant is deep and usually holds big rock for most of the year. A lot of charter boats fish this area with live baits and big chunks of bunker.

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It's just been that kinda year. Just when you think the fishing should heat up, it shuts down. The only reliable place I have seen that's still producing fish is Kent Narrows, and even then it's been producing mostly dinks. I think that the rest of the year is gonna be a wash in MD. The only places worth fishing now is on the eastern shore. I hope that there is something for us to catch next week.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
This has been a horrible year. The DelMarVa area is really in dire straits. The striper season hasn't really developed yet; I'm beginning to wonder if it might be the end of this season.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sharkbite...I can run about 270 miles on a full tank but not sure I'm up to running all the way down there. Thanks for the info though, think I'll wait it out up here. There's always sweet water fishing for northern pike, LM & SM bass, and crappie which has really turned on now.

Anthony...You've got that right. The croakers never showed in numbers, trout were a bust for the most part, and the rock need to grow up. I've caught a ton of fish this year but only put a couple of pounds in the box. It shouldn't take you guys long to clean your fish next Sunday.

Bitterchild...You're not susposed to let those white perch stay in the cooler for a week before you clean them.:D

Catman.:)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I found that the croakers actually ran decently but left so soon. I usually catch them till the end of october, but this year haven't caught any decent sized ones since june. I guess that I've gotten lucky with the fish that I have caught this year, but I had to work as hard as I can to catch them. Maybe we'll have to hit the Morning Star before they end their season on nov 31. We also have to tog trip in Dec that should be good, as long as the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
285 Posts
hmm, all the spots that i know and use to fish are in the lower bay mostly on the eastern shore around St. Michael/Tilman Island area.

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
For me no spot is purducing like IRI has for me this year but it has been slow everywhere.Maybe next year will be better.This year is still not over the Tog at IRI will bite all the way till December,Stripers will turn on for a little while till December.December is when fishing finnally dies.;)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Current = Fish

Seem like the only places that consistently produce fish are those with current like The Narrows, IRI, and the OC inlet. Out in the bay the only water movement is horizontal during tide changes. Lately I haven't seen much vertical movement. I've seen reports of guys running up to 100 miles on the water only to come up empty handed. Things are sure screwy out there. :eek:

Catman.:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts