Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need a general vote on the Size,Length flyrods most saltwater fisherman use on the coast.
I build custom Flyrods and would be interested in some input from saltwater fishemen. :confused:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I have a Fenwick graphite 9 1/2' rod that handles 9 weight line. I use it for heavy freshwater fishing (pike, musky, and bass in heavy growth) and for bay and jetty fishing large bunker-type flies for stripers and blues.

Might get a shooting taper and try my luck in the ocean surf! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are from Outside Buffalo New York
Trout season just starting up here in April.
Our interest is too create some custom rods for saltwater fisherman. We have our fresh water poles flyrods do to an art. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
374 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 9 foot 9 weight rod, especially for back bays. A rod designed to handle a no. 10 line between 9 - 10 feet in length for the coast is an excellent choice. Some may prefer an 11 weight.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A lot like Joey's;
Even though I haven't fished a fly in the salt for quite a few years- standard was a 9', 9 wt., loaded with a WF or ST. Would also occassionally load 10wt on that same rod depending on the circumstances. Usually kept a 9' 7-8 wt. around too.

I never used anything shorter than 9' and always fast- very fast actions.

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

D

·
0 Posts
I agree. 9 foot, rated for 9-10 weight lines, probably a mid-flex is best, should easily turn over large flies and throw into the wind. I like 9-9 for backbay, but 9-10 for the surf or wind is better. 11 may be too much and cause you to fatigue quicker.

I have an Orvis Clearwater 9'9wt that works well, but my favorite rod, especially when you consider the price tag is a Pflueger Trion 9'10wt. graphite rod for $50. I bought it as a temp replacement for the Orvis rod because it broke mid season...I've been using it ever since! I've taken blues, striper, flounder, and specs on this rod so far.

Pflueger just makes solid products...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts