Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
If it's for a "Serious Fisherman", it's usually best to give a gift certificate, gift card, or cash and let them choose their own gear !

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you buy them something make sure whatever store you get it from is near them to return it or Exchange it so they aren't completly screwed if they don't like it . plus get a gift receipt for exchange.. Etc otherwise what Dave said.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It took me the better part of 20+ Christmases to convince all of my relatives to give me gift cards or cash. Every year I see folks give presents that are neither wanted, needed, or the wrong size.............only to be taken back for exchange...........during which the aggravation ruins the season.

Gift cards are the gift that can't go wrong.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dave is down on this one. High end fishing gear is like high end training gear [sneakers come to mind] for competitive athletes. Nobody can pick it for you. Its what works best.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Get them a Gift cert to their favorite tackle shop .... WHERE THEY FISH, why do you people think Bass Pro, Cabela's and so forth are such great places???? Support the places you fish not the big box stores

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Get them a Gift cert to their favorite tackle shop .... WHERE THEY FISH, why do you people think Bass Pro, Cabela's and so forth are such great places???? Support the places you fish not the big box stores
Why Bass Pro / Cabela's, etc ??? . . . Selection, Large quantity in stock, lower prices and an excellent return policy are the main reasons I can think of. With the economy the way it is, most people seek the best "bang for the buck". For me, local tackle stores are great places for buying bait, if needed, hanging out / shooting the breeze, getting local information and reports, etc. For major purchases, I shop value for my money !

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bass pro is nice because it has a large selection. I've been to cabela's its not bad either. Way back in Alaska Sportsman Warehouse was the best it had everything even 5 lb sinkers. Local tackle are sometimes more expensive if they don't have enough customers. Ocean's East however is an exception they had a lot of traffic so lower prices and good selection. I miss it already. :fishing:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts