Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious what kind of line you guys use in the 17lb area.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have a spool of Sufix Magic Touch in 20 lb that I've been using for a few years, but they discontinued it a while back. It's an excellent line though, if you ever see a spool on the shelf, grab it, you'll be glad you did.

Once that's out, I'm gonna get a pound of 17 lb test Tritanium.

·
Registered
24 Posts
line.....

Ditto on the Suffix Tri in 17lb. I also use Ande' Backwater line in the 15lb class. I had a set of scales one time and did a break test on these 2 lines. The Suffix broke on average @ 20-22lbs of pull. The Ande' broke on average @ 18-20lbs of pull.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess what i meant was anything other than suffix

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
all i use in the 17-20lb range is stren hi-impact, its cheap ($7.49)and holds up well in hard casting situations only downfall is its a little thicker than some others for its test, but its still pretty good to me...anything above 20 i use momoi from bayside, anything less than 17 i use Ande tournement...

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Before I started using Sufix Tri, I used Berkley Trilene 17 lb. I used it almost exclusively for catfishing in the Chickahominy and James Rivers. I have always liked that line and still use it on some of my smaller rigs that don't get braid. You looking to switch line or something Neil?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Momoi Hi-Catch 20 lb (0.40 mm)
Cabela's Salt Striker 20lb (0.35 mm)
Berkley Trilene 15lb (0.37 mm)
Ande Premium 15lb (0.40 mm)

All of these lines will test out over 20lbs, but as you can see, some are thicker than others. Seventeen pound-test Sufix Tritanium Plus, by the way, micc's out at 0.41 mm, so it's actually thicker than the 20lb Momoi or the 20lb Cabela's.

I really like the Momoi; it's just as smooth as the Sufix, only a tad stiffer, but easier to knot and more consistent. I've micc'ed out Tritanium and it can vary as much as 0.02 mm, so it can range from as thin as 0.39 mm to as thick as 0.43 mm.

Now, the 20lb Cabela's is really surprising, as it is fairly consistently thin (at 0.35 mm, which is like 14lb Tri Plus) but is very limp and decent stretch. It is also a very consistent line. The finish is not as smooth as Tri, but it knots well and the price can't be beat (1lb spool for $20).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Berkley Big Game is alright. It's a bit stiff and the diameter is kinda high for the line size.
FWIW, I tried Sufix Tri earlier this year and thought it was thicker than BG mono (both in 20#), but much less memory than BG mono. Knots were harder to tie w/ Sufix Tri though...very slippery line. Sufix Tri also had less stretch than BG mono.
Anyone ever mic the two?

·
Registered
192 Posts
interesting question...

I have been using Tri-plus for 5 years now. To my suprise, I was reading on another board how bad and inconsistent Tri-plus has gotten and many people are looking for other lines to try. I just picked up a 1 lb spool of sufix siege orange(20 lb test) on e-bay for $20 (only bidder) and it looks and feels pretty good but have not tried it yet. I have heard good things about 18 lb Cuda but it is hard to find.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have been using Hi-Seas Red devil in 15lb and 17 lb. Knots up very nicely and is the most visible line I have ever used in all conditions. It seems that it does have a bit more stretch than Sufix Tri. It is also pretty expensive, about $50.00 for a 1lb spool. What leader are you all using for shock leaders now that the Sufix Tri leaders have been discontinued? I have a decent amount of Tri left but am trying to find something with same properties as Sufix Tri leader but have not found anything with the small diameter.

John

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sufix has been bought by rapala. i just got a real bad 1lb spool of 17. Its just a bad spool I'm getting it refunded but in case that one sucks too I wanna know my other options. All I've ever used(that I liked) was sufix.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts