1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted tis yesterday on the cafe locale board
I would like this boards input also

Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 6:23 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok I want to ask a few opinions from fellow board members,I may have an opportunity to help produce a local cable fishing show.At first it would only be a couple pilots until we obtained a sponsor.
My questions.
1.Who do you think might be interested in sponsorship?
2.What type of fishing would you like to see?
3.Does anyone know of any other shows in the area?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah here are the responses thus far

Mrbreeze
Username: Mrbreeze

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 7:41 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DP, the closest show I know of is "DR.JIM out of Va. Beach .....Jim
Seadawg
Username: Seadawg

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 7:48 pm:

There's also another show on OLN that shows parts of the Chesapeake Bay sometimes.

I kinda was hoping that nothing like this would happen to areas I like to fish, just because I don't like inconsiderate crowds.

But, I must admit, if someone had a show on local area fishing, I would watch it. I used to watch Scorchy Tawes on WBOC all the time.

Little_john
Username: Little_john

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 8:23 pm:

I talked to a friend from Va. Beach, he said Dr.
Jim retired.
Seablast
Username: Seablast

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 9:35 pm:

Hard core offshore is produced out of OC. Its on media com channel 36 at 8:30 everyday. They cover local tournys and go off shore fishig with local boats. They also did a show from Costa Rica. It's a pretty good show
Doverpower
Username: Doverpower

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:54 pm:

Seablast is mediacom the cable network in O.C. ??
Next time you watch it can you see who produces it.
Kpt
Username: Kpt

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 11:42 pm:

If your looking for sponsors you better have a several shows in the can first. No sponsor wants to pay for you to go fishing! First you need the product; then you can sell the product. One sponsor will not cove the entire cost of the show; even the big guys have multiple sponsors. Count the number of products the host mentions in the course of their show.

You better be ready to pitch the show to the channels and the sponsor. If you don’t grab there attention with the first couple of sentences you loose! If you can work a deal with a local shop and captains you will get just enough money to put their name on the program. At best until you have a following and can prove it …”Ratings”; the best you can hope for from the tackle & fishing industry is free tackle Maybe!!!

Local programming appeals to the local broadcast area. For the mass market you better have some exotic locations. This area “Delmarva” has a lot to offer the angler you just need an angle to make it appealing to Joe fisherman!

What’s your time frame for getting the show on the air, this summer, next year or two years from now? Most shows you see on TV were shot over a year ago. So if you want to do a show on summer flounder fishing in the DE Bay to air this year…well you’re already a little late.

Do you have a boat you’ll be working out of? Who’s holding the camera? You or a professional, what about sound? Who will do post production. Do you have an diver/underwater cameraman that’s the hot ticket now? Do you have you own equipment? Do you have the script of you first shows ready, yes fishing shows are scripted!

IMHO, the best fishing show is Andy Mill’s sportsman’s journal, no infomercials, no blatant advertising, and lots of good fishing in great locations.

There are some decent local fishing shows in NJ.

Regards

Ken

Markedwards
Username: Markedwards

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 7:50 am:

DP since i fish from shore most of the time I would like to see more shows based on shore fishing.every time you ask one of the big tv shows why they do do shore fishing shows they give you a bunch of crap but in reality they are bought and paid for by the boating and electronics
companies.and that is sad a "professional"fisher sitting in a boat with enough electronis to track
a space flight and he can't even catch a fish without all that crap! as far as sponsors go what is the one thing ALL fisherman need to get to their ultimate destination?TRUCKS everyone wants/needs one from joe sixpack going to a farm pond to danny deeppockets goinig offshore for the sport of it.one more thing mainly saltwater shows would be fine with me god knows there are enough freshwater/bass shows out there and if you try to get in that market you're done before you get started.
Doverpower
Username: Doverpower

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 8:32 am:

KPT asked these questions

Do you have a boat you’ll be working out of?
I have access to 2 boats.I planned on using local captians and guides in exchange for promotinal consideration

Who’s holding the camera? You or a professional, what about sound?
Im not a pro but the person who approached me is
Im plan on handling marketing.
I will handle obtaining sponsorships

Who will do post production.?
The gentleman who owns the equipment will do editing and post production.

Do you have an diver/underwater cameraman that’s the hot ticket now?
no undewater camera.But great idea.

Do you have you own equipment?
yes he has $100,000 +/- worth of camera and editing equipment

Do you have the script of you first shows ready, yes fishing shows are scripted!
No we have acces to the format of the
"Bobby Vermillion" show and planned on using similar formula.That why I wanted to bounce around the idea of what type of shows people want to see.
please keep the responses coming
I realize no one will get rich on this

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
There are a few people on this board who threw the idea of a fishing show around in the past.
It's a good idea but the financials are a tough sell.
If they feels like talking about it, Sand Flea and once PierandSurf reg CutBait are fairly knowledgeable on this subject.
Personally, I'd say unless you are very experienced in this field or have a lot of extra $ to toss around, it probably isn't a lucrative thing to do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't have a contact number, but I know Progressive Boat Insurance is sponsoring several fishing shows and has ads in Fisherman Magazine. might be a place to start. I know they are trying to grow the fishing boat side of the busniess. Corporate hq is in Ohio. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I finally saw fish-on over the weekend. It was the episode where they are bonefishing and the other two chicks are scuba diving. Talk about a bone--when the one chick had to fix her bikini under water....nevermind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts