Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of talk about the 17 and a half limit on Flounder. What are your views? Would you be willing to stop Flounder fishing for 3 years to catch 18 inch Flounders on a regular basis? Do you think a 15 inch limit is better?

Please don't bring the Coms. into this, It's just about us Recs.

As for me, I think the three year thing would be good. I don't mind fishing for something else for a while in order to have really nice Flounder fishing again. Of course if I were to catch a 5lber during those three years it would most likely cause me to kill myself.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the regs are tough but three years!!!!!! crazy!!!!! you want bigger flounder, pound the people that keep them under size!!! and how about hose 10in fillets at the resturants and supermarkets!!! there is the issue not joe shmo pick a few out at lesner. just my 2 cent

buzz

·
Registered
337 Posts
All fisherman will agree there is a problem, I think 3 years would be great. there are plenty of other great tasting fish out there, and I don't think this is only about keeping flounder, it all boils down to the fact that us shorebound fisherman cannot, (are at a disadvantage from those in boats) catch "keeper" sized fish on a regular basis. No one eats that much flounder that a three year moratorium or raised size limits is an issue. I like to catch big fish, no matter what they are. I throw back 99% of everything I catch. Basically--raise fines to scary heights, $500 per fish. Enforce that, and raise the limits to 21 or 22inches. Then in 2006 we will all be writing about the 24 or 28 inchers we are catching at lesner everyday.:)

Lower the limits to 15 in. and all of us will be complaining that we can't catch anything but 8-10 inchers. You need to give the fish some chance to grow. don't decrease their chances by pulling even more of them from the water.

my2cents...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Perhaps lowering the take to 2 or 3 instead of 8 a day and/or extending the closed season?

There seems to be a lot of quality flounder around, maybe not at historic levels but they are here. The folks on the boating boards are tearing’em up. Nice fish from what I see and read. A lot of folks coming in with there limits too.

Rob Holtz posted the Va citations and there are 500 reported, just think how many might not bother to go for the paper. Then there is Jack Ace who just reported a while back he has a count of around 600 tagged flounder. WOW, He must put a lot of time in (You lucky dog!).

Maybe us sand fleas and plankers are suffering from the SW winds, rain and this cold water spell.

Back to point, I’d have to vote for a lower bag limit.

I’m with ya Wilber, I’d freak if I had to throw the biggun back because of a closed season. It’s been so long since I’ve caught one!

FISH ON....... an on, an on, an on, an on.........

·
Registered
634 Posts
12 to 15 inches and lower the bag limit....then maybe i could eat some flounder...which i havent been able too this year because of ridiculous size limits.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i am with hi lock make them 16in and 3 per person. thats pretty reasonable. shorten the season thats fair also. but an all out stop crazy.

buzz

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I think I have mentioned before I would like a lower bag limit. A 3 year closed season would not help most shorebased fishermen very much, since the area's we fish hold the smaller fish, and would probably continue to do the same. Yes 20 years ago I ate 15 inch fish but did not catch many 19 inch fish then so I don't feel it would help much. The reg's are greared toward the boat fishermen vs the shore.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Man i was on harrisons last weekend and some guy caught like an 8 " flounder and he slammed it onto the deck then like stomped on it and yanked the hook out when it was in the corner of its mouth and just kicked i half way across the pier and left i there!!! i was shocked i got up and grabbed the fish and threw it back and told him that was way illegal and he started running his mouth,man people just dont have any respect for the eco system and then those same people wonder why they have to be 17 1/2 " I hate peple like that they just get to me

·
Registered
402 Posts
lower the bag limit to 3 per person, keep the 17.5 in length limit. anything under 17 inches doesnt really have that much meat on it anyway, so keeping a bunch of 15 inchers just ruins having a bunch of potential fatties the next year. i have caught a lot of sublegal fish this year, which only means next year they will be legal. i have heard of people complaining of catching a lot of smaller fish, and no keepers. perrhaps this is a baby boom year, and in a year or 2 all these little fish will be meaty keepers. fish populations fluctuate just as human populations do. the regualtions put into play take a few years to realize the results. i think the next 2 or 3 years should be good ones.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The deal is that there is a coast wide increase of about 20% slated for next year's recreational quota. This will probably mean a slight reduction in the size limit. There is also a "slim chance" that the quota will be increased by another 10 to 20 percent after the Midatlantic Council reviews the current 60/40 commercial/recreational split of the overall flounder quota.

All of this should come to a head later in the year. You will have your chance to provide input in three ways/times. First is the VMRC Fisheries Management Committee meeting which is generally held on the third Tuesday of each month at 7PM. You will be able to provide your input in writing and finally you will be able to attend the VMRC public hearing which will be during the day.

Oh and I am on the FMAC so when you post your desires here I read them and consider them during the discussions and when we vote.

Tom

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think the 8/person bag limit is stupid, nobody needs that many each day, I'm fine w/ 17.5 if it means more 20+ fish next year

·
Registered
441 Posts
Believe me, in another 2 weeks or so, there will be plenty of opportunities to catch flounders that are larger than 17.5 inches on the shore. The peak for the shorefisherman on the Va. Beach side is in the fall. You just have to know the pattern. The boaters do just fine during the spring and fall, but for the shore fisherman, you will be very lucky to catch flounders over 17.5 inches. You will catch and potentially hurt a lot of small flounders which will add to your frustrations.

I vote for a 3 fish limit for flounders for boaters and shore fisherman. Eight 17.5 inch flounders are a lot of fish. There should be a closed season in the July time frame on the shore simply because the odds of you catching flounders over 17.5 inches is very, very low.

I never get skunked because I am very selective about when and where I fish. This is called establishing a pattern that will greatly increase your odds of catching quality fish. Learn it.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies folks.
Tom Powers, thank you for the work you do on our behalf, maybe you could take this back with you.
Most seem to agree that the 17 and a half limit is creating a bigger stock of fish, maybe we should keep it for a few more years and see how it pans out. Most are for a lower bag limit, maybe 3 fish a day, this should also help the stock. If you are in a boat and hit it right with 6 people on board and catch 48 big Flounders, which is legal now, you have put a serious dent in the large breeder stock. The lower bag limit would really help in this case.
Again thanks for your opinions in this matter.
Oh, some one please take Kajun a Flounder, I think he starting to shake.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The stream of conservation on this post is superb. Tagging total is up to 681 YTD ... thanks to Kimoslobby for pitching in with a stellar 2-fish, 8-hour day on Wednesday with me.

I'm going to weigh on the 3-fish limit side. I've fished only the shore for the 5-years I've lived here and you all know I fish a lot for flounder, and I have a ton of data but it's a very rare day that I've bagged more than 5 over 17 1/2". And never kept more than 2 on any one trip ... usually just one.

Now, on a boat, which I've been fortunate to be on a few times this year, it's entirely different because not knowing a darn thing about boat fishing, I've been around plenty of big fish. And I constantly hear the stories of 4 guys with 8-fish limits of 19" to 23" flounder and I know that can not be good for the fishery. So take the limit to 3.

Another thing is to ENFORCE the laws to the fullest extent everytime on the folks keeping undersized fish, fine them something worthwhile ... like $250 a fish or $250 an inch ... and move on. No leniency for the scofflaws.

As for us recreational guys: use bigger baits for more consistently bigger fish, and if you use the tiny mud-minnows, use a circle hook to cut-down on the gut-hooking on the smaller fish you might get ... especially in the summer.

Finally on the commercial side, and what is probably will always need some work, on Wednesday we watched a commercial skiff run out to their pound nets and drive back us shoveling dead undersized flounder back over the side of the boat ... not to mention dead undersized trout and drum as well.

In sum, lower bag limit, same size, bigger fines.

THROW SOME / MOST / A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I am in agreement w/ hic-lock also.Lower the bag limit,to 2-3 a day,keep the current size reg,reward catch and release practices(Jake-you would be a billionaire),fine the $hit outta 1st time offenders($500),give a lifetime ban to fishing licenses(boat,charter,commercial) and fishing privileges to 2nd offenders,cut off fingers and hands and use as flounder bait to 3rd offenders.

I see fishing like this,"it dosen't always mean keeping".
Yeah I see and everyone else see's it.Dumba$$'s on the boat,pier and surf,keeping to many fish or undersized fish.The only way we can get the point across is better enforcement and harsher disciplinary action.For instance,I was @ The Spit (during the end of the trout run)and I see the MAN out checking for licenses and through coolers.Well the only ones they took back to there cars were the 1's that did not have there liscenses.The one's with the under sized fish(go figure it was for an under sized flounder-17 inches)-the MAN gave the guy a warning and told him to throw the dead fish back into the water,and that was it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The guy was then able to go,NO Ticket,NO Fine,No Decapitation......nuthing!!!!!Come on guys,that is 1 of the reasons the abundance of fish(ie flounder) can and is affected.
These PErps,yeah I call them like I see them ,should be monitored like sex offenders.These scum of the earth should be branded and have there mug shots on bulletin boards like this 1,so we all know who to watch when we are fishing.I know at least 75% of this board has a cell phone,and a quick call to the authorities regarding a repeat offender raping our waters.
Every pier should have a pic or these perps.Every boat ramp should have 1 also.

I know I can get off my soap box,now,but this issue should have all our blood boiling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts