Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well need some input from you guys. I'm going to purchase myself the Offshore Angler Ocean Master Stand-Up Rod - OMSU Model 5'6 50-80lb line. But can't seem to find a reel under $200 bucks that holds up tons of line. I'm going deep sea fishing up to 500ft+ ocean depth. The fish I'm after are wahoos, bigeye, yellowfin, and big rockfish. Need a baitcast reel that will hold 80lb line (Berkeley pro spec) .033 800yards.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
For under $200 the only reel that comes to my mind is the Shimano TLD-25 that holds 845yds of 80lb power pro. Its a nice reel but will 22lbs max drag and 3.6:1 gear ratio be good for your application?
Well, at least on a boat you have the ability to chase fish which we cannot do when pin rigging from a pier.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For under $200 the only reel that comes to my mind is the Shimano TLD-25 that holds 845yds of 80lb power pro. Its a nice reel but will 22lbs max drag and 3.6:1 gear ratio be good for your application?
Well, at least on a boat you have the ability to chase fish which we cannot do when pin rigging from a pier.
+1

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
TLD-25 . . . Great suggestion !!!

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Triton-Lever-Drag-Reel/product/17515/

Alan Tani has been able to "upgrade" the TLD-25, too!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36.0

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/67177-hotrodding-single-speed-shimano-tld-20-25-update.html

Another possibility is the Penn Squall SQL60LD . . .

http://www.basspro.com/PENN-Squall-Lever-Drag-Reel/product/10231454/

Tight Lines !!!

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
What you are looking for is a Conventional Reel, not a baitcaster, surf caster etc which are conventional but in a different category , for my lack of a better term.

I presume you are fising in California waters and from the targeted species of fish you will be lost likely pulling baits. Trolling
If that is the case
My preference and suggestion is a TLD 25. I have decked Yellowfin, Bigeyes, Sailfish, White Marlin, Gaffer Dolphin, and Wahoo using. TLD25's
On a "Stand Up" rig. I love this kind of fishing on Charter Boats. I dont want to sit in a fighting chair unless a Blue Marlin is on.

There is a guy that sells a great deal of stuff on Craigslist in California and I have actually spoken with him on something he had for sale. His prices are reasonable for pre owned fishing equipment.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
Another thing.... I'm not sure why your mind is set on 80 pound braid.... A TLD only puts out about 25 pounds of drag at full.
Lastly the guy's name is John 760-672-7080 I was speaking of.... I think he is in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would say Penn fathom 60LD2 but it's $100 more than your budget. It does have more drag, all metal construction and it's a 2 speed compared to the squall which is plastic.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well made a change and got me a penn senator 6/0 $130+. Since I'm just going deep sea fishing and probably trolling as well. The reel is a bit heavy feels like 2 or 3 lbs of reel but it looks sturdy and really well made. Since most of my fishing on a boat is going deep penn senator will probably work for straight drop with heavy sinker. It will just give my arm a good workout after several hours of holding and reeling. Didn't like the kid at bass pro trying to sell me a more expensive reel that held less line and pretending to be an expert in fishing. I'm hoping on my next boat trip I can get the biggest fish because it's worth money.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're going to go deep sea often then consider an electric reel. Reeling forever gets old...quick.
Electric reels cost money that I don't have right now spending wise. But as I find out last weekend on the boat reeling line 500ft down 3 times in 1 hour because captain wanted to move location a few times is a real pain in the arm lol. But hey that's what's fun about fishing working for that catch. Plus I'm considering using 16oz to 24oz sinkers which is a real arm burner then again 16oz wasn't even holding last time at the bottom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You did good with the 6/0 Senator, if you wanted more line capacity you could have gone with the 9/0 but it would weigh even more and if you have the line capacity you need on the 6/0 then stick with that. They are well built reels, not as good as they used to be but still better than anything else in their price range. Good luck with your setup, I like the OMSU's and I love Senators, as long as you take care of the gear, it'll last you a long long time.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
You did good with the 6/0 Senator, if you wanted more line capacity you could have gone with the 9/0 but it would weigh even more and if you have the line capacity you need on the 6/0 then stick with that. They are well built reels, not as good as they used to be but still better than anything else in their price range. Good luck with your setup, I like the OMSU's and I love Senators, as long as you take care of the gear, it'll last you a long long time.
The Penn 114HLW ( wide 6/0 ) is another option, if more line capacity is needed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is a Penn 114H2 6/0 it has the line capacity I was looking for 80lb mono / 290 yards. 22 lb max drag is pretty good and only weights about 3lbs. It will surely reach 500ft down when I get back on the boat and easily hold my 24oz sinker. Tested it on a 10lb circle plate the rod and reel held up good.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
If you used braif you would not need as much weight to hold bottom. A smaller reel filled to the top with braid would be much easier on you

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you used braif you would not need as much weight to hold bottom. A smaller reel filled to the top with braid would be much easier on you
Not where I was fishing. The currents were too strong even for braid lines and the fact is braids lines tangled everybody. I was fishing between islands so the water current is much stronger at 450 and 500ft.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts