Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what everyone’s favorite set up is when you see a school tearing up bait fish off the beach but don’t know what they are yet?
I grab an 8’ St Croix mojo surf and Stradic 3000 and throw a bucktail or jig at them.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
10.5' All Star "Spanish Buster" custom spinning rod I built. 30# braid and a 2.5 oz Krocodyle spoon in silver. Always have this setup ready at all times on the beach.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rod: 8' Daiwa Jupiter 1225B from a million years ago (probably from Wal-Mart). It's a cheap rod but it's light and casts lures all day without fatigue. But most important it a lucky rod.
Reel: Cadence Stout 3000 with 20lb braid.
Lure: Hopkins Shorty (2.25 oz) with a bucktail single hook.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also great for 1.5 oz Kastmasters in blue/silver. Another killer lure for me...
Same here. The blue and silver 1.5oz Kastmaster or even all silver works great with busting bait.
Silver and blue and all silver 1 and 2 oz Deadly Dicks are also great to cast further out at unknown schools chasing bait from the beach.

I also use an old St Croix Mojo surf 10’ with a Stradivarius 3000.

·
Registered
40 Posts
10' Penn Spinfisher graphite and 550SS, 20lb PP with stingsilver 1.5 or 2 oz....pink and white is fav but gold and silver also. Yah, I know, it's old skool but it works and one of the most durable spinners ever built. Also, Abu 6500 on 8' Tsunami travel rod has been good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts