Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a casting reel for my October trip to OBX always been a spinning guy but thinking about trying the casting stuff . Ive been doing some reading and am considering the penn squall 2 and fathom and also the Diawa sl20 Would these be the best choices to learn on for me being inexperienced ?
Thanks , Tim

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Of the three above I would get the Fathom, it is the most expensive but it is a nice casting reel that a lot of the best casters on the OBX use.

The Fathoms were $140 or so when they first came out, now it seems they are pushing $200.

There is nothing wrong with the SL20SH except when you get the spool out of control and you burn your thumb with the graphite spool. Might as well learn about casting a conventional the hard way....that is with a bright white spot on your thumb that needs to be kept on ice.........

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thinking about getting a casting reel for my October trip to OBX always been a spinning guy but thinking about trying the casting stuff . Ive been doing some reading and am considering the penn squall 2 and fathom and also the Diawa sl20 Would these be the best choices to learn on for me being inexperienced ?
Thanks , Tim
Might want to also look at the Akios 656 CTM. Since a beginner the dual braking might shorten the learning curve.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you , so how do you not burn ones thumb ? Always though you thumb the line on the spool and not the spool itself . Yeah I normally learn better the hard way with most things

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree with the suggestion of the Akios 656 CTM. The dual brake option could help greatly with the learning curve for a beginning caster. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
SL30sH or SL20SH

Side of the spool gets ahold of the side of your thumb, when you are bombing out a bait or getting hit by a monster Shark going somewhere else. It can be epic as far as a smoking thumb with a white spot glowing.......when stuff is going on especially in the dark of night it is easy.

Everyone who has ever spent much time with these reels has learned their lesson.....about graphite spools spinning 25 thousand RPM's.

Some folks also have a problem with the gear box when casting a SL20SH. Seen the RedHead missing half the meat on his thumb one time, just from a cast and his thumb getting pinched. I never had that issue, but I did have problems with the 525Mag and trigger reel seats, there just was not enough room for my paws.

As far as just thumbing the line....you are in for a treat when you try and stop the spool when it is moving too ...too fast...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts