Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
No pictures, but I saw the pictures of it in the local paper. Vet said it was too young to go back and live on it's own and they had to euthanize it. The least they could have done is hook a line to it and let one lucky angler reel it back in once...just for a fish story! lol Just kidding...

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I have been down here for a week. The baby whale beached itself just south of ramp 38. We did not see the whale, but could see the crane used to help dispose of the carcass.

Another whale, chewed up by sharks from what I understand, ended up on the beach about 1 mile south of the point, down around the hook.

For the last couple of days, a small team of biologists (I guess) cut it up and were taking samples to analyze. We rode by yesterday as they were finishing. They had about 5 or six coolers with samples in them, and buried the rest of it right on the beach.

vballmike

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike. There was speculation that the whale that washed up was the reason for all the biters that were down there last week, and that makes sense. Do you know if it was another right whale, or another species?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The whale which washed up just south of the point was a humpback, about 30-35' long.

They estimated it had been dead for about 2 weeks before it came ashore.
Sharks had been into it some.

The ranger said a sperm whale had come ashore a while back and was buried in the same hole.

Blubber for Christmas dinner??

vballmike

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have pictures of the innards, they are pretty graphic so I'll run them by the mods first. Theres an awful lot of nasty inside those critters lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.