Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my season pass for '04. A steal at $20.

Had the beach to myself, a few walkers and saw a few ORV. Even had some jack*** drive his Range Rover north of South Beach, pass the the red sigh.

Had one big strike on squid and a fish finder rig. Just about bounced the rod out of the rod tube.

Not to bad out there.

Question for you all. Do you back off the drag after casting on a spinning reel? If you do, how much do you back off, with out affecting your ability to hold bottom?

I don't. Is this why I didn't hook what ever hit my bait? Or was it just bad luck?

Drove over to OC Inlet. Looks like a nice spot to try. Found the real Route 50 bridge, not the Cambridge one. Is fishing best on the north or south side of the inlet? How does one get to the south side? Never really been to OC, too many people for me during the summer, nice place this time of the year.

Have Silverado will travel. But racking up the mileage.

:)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Orest,

Myself, after casting out I wait until sinker is holding bottom, then bring line in tight. Then let out a foot or so of line by hand. Finally I loosen the drag until wind or current is barely removing line from spool, and then tight drag to where wind and current no longer "spools" line. When a fish hits, she''ll run the line, gently tighten the drag and back up to hook her. Adjust drag to where you can reel in the fish, but leaving enough that if fish is big enough, she'll run some line instead of snapping the line.

Just my 2 cents and personal way at the beach.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

Oh yeah, and out ther it's strickly circle hooks for me 6/0, 8/0 or 10/0.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With 2 rods in the water he picked the rod without the Okuma EB65 on it.:(

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shaggy -

Circle hooks is all I use. I think that rig had a 6/0 on it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Orest said:
...Question for you all. Do you back off the drag after casting on a spinning reel? If you do, how much do you back off, with out affecting your ability to hold bottom?

I don't. Is this why I didn't hook what ever hit my bait? Or was it just bad luck?
Orest,

You should tighten the drag on a spinning reel when casting heavy weights and return it back to the normal drag setting when the cast is completed.

Drag setting does not have any relationship to holding bottom - If you cannot hold bottom, move up an ounce or two on the sinker weight.

If you are using Sputnik-type wire sinkers, remember that they lose their grip if you reel in any line and move them. Pyramid or tongue sinkers stay put no matter how many time you move them. IMHO - I do not use Sputnik-type sinker with a FF rig - but that's just me...

The last time I fished AI with squid all I caught was sharks and skates. They hit pretty good but it sounds like you had a striper hit yours by the way the rod bounced in the tube. ;)

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ron was using 6oz pyramid on that fish finder rig.

Thanks to all for the help with the drag setting.

In less that a hour I learned quite a bit about settig the dragafter casting from my good friends at P&S.

Thanks to all.

:)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You don't have this problem with...

Conventional reels! Just set the clicker and take a snooze!! ;)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Never fished AI

Sandcrab is going to take me there this year. Then I can use that Penn baitcaster I bought by accident off of ebay. It is very large and it would take a shark to spool that thing.

Anyway, with a spinner you should do what everyone has said. Tighten it for cast, loosen up and tighten enough that line isn't coming out from wind/current.

What's the difference between South Beach and whatever other beach is at AI?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The ORV section.:)

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No.

$20 for an annual pass to get into the park. I think you talking about the ORV area. Shaggy will know.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
$20 for season pass for park access, $70 for yearly pass to ORV zone. So, let's see, season pass $20, sand permit $70, fishing less "populated" beach.......... you got it priceless (especially if stripers are running).

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Re: Never fished AI

HuskyMD said:
Sandcrab is going to take me there this year. Then I can use that Penn baitcaster I bought by accident off of ebay. It is very large and it would take a shark to spool that thing.

Anyway, with a spinner you should do what everyone has said. Tighten it for cast, loosen up and tighten enough that line isn't coming out from wind/current.

What's the difference between South Beach and whatever other beach is at AI?

Husky,

I do not have a 4X4 so I drive to AI and park in the South Parking lot. From there, it' s just a short hike over the dunes with my surf cart to the ocean. ;) Unless you run into Anthony and Jason - They can kidnap you and take you down the strand to real good spots and "slews"! :)

It's only $20 if you want a pass to fish the beach that is not in the ORV zone (South Parking lot area). I plan on getting one the next time I hit the beach...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Re: Never fished AI

HuskyMD said:
Gots lots of setups you could use when we hit the beach! Wait until you check out my "Stingsilver Special" I am building this Winter! It'll heave metal like there is no tomorrow! :) Ordered the blank today from HO.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Got no problem taking whoever out on the ORV section when I go. Just let me know and I will meet you by the restrooms and lug you out there. Lord knows I will be going a bunch this year with all the price hikes on all the MD piers and beaches.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Okay, but remember, it should be kicking in in about a month and a half or so, and stay away from me and bro's marker :)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Don't worry! But you can bet I won't be that far away from you guys!;) :D

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
As I would like, good company (specially when the fish AIn't biting), is always welcome (you know where to find us if we aren't too far south. I'll let you know when "first" sping trip is on.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
shaggy said:
$20 for season pass for park access, $70 for yearly pass to ORV zone. So, let's see, season pass $20, sand permit $70, fishing less "populated" beach.......... you got it priceless (especially if stripers are running).

Just do the math! $90 for permits divided by 13 fishable miles= Almost $7 per mile for relaxation!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts