Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I are wanting to go fishing this Sunday since the weather seems to be nice.

We were going to head to Atlantic beach Saturday night and surf fish all day Sunday.

I wanted to see if anyone has any advice if thats a good idea, or if we should head somewhere else?

Basically, If you were going down to the beach Saturday night - for a full day of fishing (without a boat) on Sunday - where would you go?

Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Give the folks at http://www.freemanstackle.com/a call and get their opinion. They are located on the causeway going to AB from Morehead City on the left. They have always been nice and helpful with me. The other tackle shop....Chasin Tails Outdoors could help you too. http://chasintailsoutdoors.com/

I am not trying to snub anyone, those are the two that I have interacted with the most out there.

Check with Bogue Inlet Pier and see what they have going on. I think someone is having a dog fish tournament this weekend and those can be a good place to drink beer and talk about fishing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The following is an educated guess and take it for what it is worth.....
A land based fisherman really has three choices this time of year for any kind of sport fish. Speckled trout, stripers, and sheepshead.
I know nothing about stripers and I would wager they are along the outer banks exclusively right now
Sheepshead will require fishing around structure, i.e. pilings and rocks. I would use clams or musseles this time of year.
Speckled Trout would be found along inlets and structure as well. Fish an incoming tide. Use jigs with bodies and reel very slowly. Prepare to loose rigs if you opt for jigs at the jetties....you are going to find the rocks.
So it sounds like you need to fish the jetties at Ft. Macon. If you do, please remember that those rocks are slick and you can really get hurt easily.

Night Time
Specs, and bigger ones do this, feed at night because they have great vision. A MirrOlure could be used with good success to hit a big momma spec.
You could always bottom fish with cut bait for dogsharks while you sling for trout.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The latest from NOAA is below.

Saturday ENE wind 11 to 15 kt becoming SE in the afternoon. A chance of showers, mainly after 11am. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
Saturday Night SSE wind 17 to 19 kt becoming SSW after midnight. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Seas 3 to 4 ft.
Sunday WSW wind around 18 kt. A slight chance of showers before 11am. Seas 3 to 4 ft.

The good news is generally a S or SW wind is Drum weather. At Fort Macon, the waves on Saturday night and Sunday will coming into you (from different directions on each day) and you'll need heavier lead to stick. The hopeful upside is any bait in that area will be pushed into shore.

I'd stay off the rocks with that wind and wave action.

I've fished some really windy weather and one of the most productive days I've seen was a similar wind on the south end of Cape Lookout. The waves were coming right at us. Big gray water, the surf water looked like a washing machine and the drum were thick. I don't want to discourage you by any means. You could get into them. But be prepared to get blown around.

Be safe. Tight lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton for the replies and advice!

I think the plan is to fish around the Oceanna Pier pylons early morning (since the FortMacon parking lot doesnt open until 8a). Around noon we'll head over to the rock jetty @ Fort macon and fish around the rocks.

With the possibility of Drum - what do you all think about buck tails with 4" Gulp shrimp? I'll pickup a few MirrOlure's to try out too.

Ill also have a surf rod setup with a multi-hook rig and a pyramid weight on it - probably pickup some shrimp to throw out.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.