Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a website i could see really small fish. like when they were babies. i think it would be interesting to see how they look.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Guess we would have to wait for some financials, so we can see ROE, debt to equity ratios, historical earnings (or lack thereof), book value, revenue trends, earnings trends, net income and income before "extraordinary items. Extrapolate some "future" projections, and given the "time value" of money, whether or not we could find a better "return" (place to put our money) during the same investment time frame.

Didn't get rich last time the market showed the signs of "irrational exhuberance", but didn't succenly lose either.

Just my two cents.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
bassn,

You'd be surprise the number of highly educated surf-fishermen/women there are!:D

Hey I may not be a genius but I did stay @ a Holiday Inn Express lastnite!

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I wouldn't touch that IPO with a 10-foot pole. There's too much hype around it and frankly I think the quality of Google's search has gone down in the last few months. Half the results it returns now are just machine generated keyword pages stuffed with advertising.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks chest2head but i was looking for like baby stripers maybe 2 in. long or so.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
pedophile

Might I remind you of Michael Jackson. Leave the little ones be!

:jawdrop:

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
bassn, to consider investing in any stock, look at historical earnings (the money they keep), and best yet a trend of double digit increases(at least 10%) on growing revenues not earning which are increased thanks to layoff, attrition or one time gains from sale of assets. You find that, eventually, the company has too much "excess" dollars in the coffers, and can't find suitable places to invest themselves and pay the "excess" to shareholders in dividneds. Look for companies that show a history of increasing dividends every year, stay away from those that have recently cut back their dividends and in about twenty years, a few good picks can help make you a bit more comfortable fishing in those "retirement" years, thanks to dividends and stock price increase.

Banks, REITs, strong utilities and major financial and certain insurance companies, pay a nice yield in dividends, especially REITs (but watch them if iterest rates start creeping up, very sensitive), and at least one good conglomerate I know of has bought good things to life for me.

Any other hints will be handle through pm, cause, I AIn't no broker, and would also reccommend some I already have, and have had for years.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
hey drum runner

So THATS why you wanted me to go fishin with you???? ... FREAK!!! .... ... ... lol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Drum Runner!

My daughter caught a two inch striper that hung onto her bloodworm without even being hooked! He looked like a miniature adult -- I probably still have the picture around.

There's a good site for the Chesapeake Bay species -- I think NOAA maintains it. If I find the link I'll post it... Most fish take on the adult form by the one inch mark. You want to see the larval and post-larval stages. Some can be pretty gross - a 1/4 inch bluefin tuna looks like a 15th century sea monster off those old crude maps! The larval and post-larval forms usually drift in the planton where its eat or be eaten (even by your brothers and sisters!) Even many bottom vertebrates (crabs and clams) have free-swimming larvae... If you ever get completely bored, buy a cheap microscope and examine your local fishing waters and bottom substrate. you can even increase your chances of finding something interesting by building a simple trap out of panty hose and a gallon milk jug (no, not the trap Jason uses when he gets lonely!)

Searching University sites that have marine biology labs can help too if you don't want to catch your own. Finally, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation lists regular field trips where they sample micro and macroscopic organisms. They even do young-of-year sampling.... Their newsletter is free, but the registration for the classes/field trips usually run $20.00 to $45.00. I don't think they will let you bring a rod along, but no harm in asking! They also do reptile/amphibian census. There's tons of stuff for bird watchers....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Axon!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Its so dang easy to farm raise the hybrids that there is no need for commercial striper fishing. The hybrids taste the same, and reach market size very quickly on pelletized food. At Pintail Point they even do flyfishing classes on the hybrid ponds!

Hook and line commercial striper fishermen can catch 800lbs per day per vessel of 18" plus rock. Just ask Jason and Anthony how easy this is... They got a taste of it on the Chessie Charter in August, 2003. Chumming for rock is pretty close to shooting fish in a barrel....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
greetings

manuyunk and axon thanks fot the sites. gotcha im planning to go out with mike saunders outta deep bottem sometime soon for cats. its $40 for half a day. wanna join?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts