Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Weakfish are also known as grey trout. The spotted seatrout that page mentions are a separate species, also known as speckled trout.

Specks are southern fish, greys/weakies are northern fish. Those of use on the mid-Atlantic live in the overlap of the two territories, so we get both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sand flea just dint want to get caught with a undersized fish.Do they look very similar?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I have yet to see a speckled trout caught up here yet. But then again this year I haven't seen much trout around either. :rolleyes: But they are coming!:D

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Joe, they're very easy to tell apart. If you're not sure, it's a grey. Specks are very, very distinct looking.

And you don't see many specks around here. It's mainly greys. The specks are in the Atlantic, down around Tidewater.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Joe,
In Bay Country they're simply refered to as TROUT.:D You'll get strange looks from the Maryland crowd if you call them anything else.;)

Catman.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
And it's always pronounced, "trayt." :D

catman said:
Joe,
In Bay Country they're simply refered to as TROUT.:D You'll get strange looks from the Maryland crowd if you call them anything else.

Catman.

·
Registered
374 Posts
specks are common here in the maryland portion of the bay. you have to know the where and when to find them. :p most anglers that target this species are very tight lipped about it.

FL, the farthest point north that I've caught a speck was in the Severn River a few years back.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I know Joey you have been kind of tight lipped this year.;) We get reports of you going out and catching some nice stripers at an "unknown" location everytime.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not this again :)

Once again, weakfish in Maryland and Delaware are pretty much UNIVERSALLY called "Sea Trout" by actual fishermen, magazines, etc.

The term "Grey Trout" for weakfish is a Virginia and North Carolina term; it might seep into extreme southern MD, but it's unheard of in Delaware and I've personally heard it used by a Maryland native.

If you see a report of someone catching "Sea Trout" in Maryland, Delaware, etc. in a magazine, website, etc., 100% of the time, they're talking about weakfish.

The only people that call weakfish weakfish in Maryland and Delaware either moved here from somewhere else or are tourists from Pennsylvania.

The term "Spotted Sea Trout" is an "official" NMFS common name that isn't actually used by anybody in real life. The term people actually use is "speck" or "speckled trout".

However, once you get into South Carolina and points south, some call Speckled trout "Sea Trout."

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
the specks are coming the specks are coming :D bigguns too couple o more weeks im gon get me some :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts