Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was amazed to learn a secret from a female fisher at Lynnhaven the other day. She was spraying wd-40 on squid and TEARING up spot and croaker. She said it was a secret her grandpa had taught her. Have any of you ever tried it? I am thinking that if a lot of people did it there may be environmental concerns from the WD 40 so I doubt I will do it again but I thought it was pretty interesting that it brought the fish bite on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think I first heard/read about it over 20 years ago. I've heard of it more in freshwater, mainly spraying plugs with it.

I'm not keen on it due to the environmental factor, as you stated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Same as top snipe .
I saw a guy spraying w40 on night crawlers at the lake.
A good dose of petroleum distillates would shurly catch a mess o fish and kill a human with no problem!

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Where do you think it goes

When you spray it on your reels?

Ultimately, it ends up in the enviornment.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, I am of grandpa age - and back in the early 70s when I was a kid fishing local creeks and river in Idaho we used to use WD-40 on our nightcrawlers. This is not a new concept. The stuff does seem to attract fish.

Lou

P

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of it before. But I don't run into many people using it. I've also heard about spraying Windex on acne, poison ivy, and a host of other ailments as a cure.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
wd-40

I think back then they had cod oil in the formula. Know I think they have changed the formulation but you knows. Just read the side of the can for list of ingredients. If no cod oil then it probably does'nt really help. Like the guys who use formaldhyde so there ballyhoo last a week or longer. Now that is some nasty stuff!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
WD has menhaden oil in it, or it did until soybean oil prices became cheaper than bunker oil. Omega has been mothballing more and more of their bunker boats. Since the lubricants side of the bunker harvest has been taken out of the equation they're left with cat food, fertilizer, etc. To quote Martha Stewart "It's a good thing"

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
might have to keep a can in my box wonder if ya could dip chicken livers in a jar o vasoline n get the same results for a catfish :eek:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Not sure what the secret formula is now but WD40 has always had emulsified fish(menhaden) oil in it that may attract fish. I've used for the last 15-20 yrs. on all my lures,rods&reels. After using them and rinsing them off with fresh water, I spray them down with WD40. It not only is a preservative but also displaces water that may be left over from the rinse job. As far as an attractant, there are other things that are a lot better and more environmentally friendly like peeler oil. Just ask your local bait & tackle shop they'll be glad to steer you in the right direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts