Pier and Surf Forum banner

Water Temps up a Bit

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Beachbms 
#1 ·
Looks a little better 8/16/03 Compared to the PIC below

Hope the warming trend continues.
I think the winds we had must have helped out in some way shape or form?

See less See more
#2 ·
Water temps

I sure hope those numbers are right, or that would be one mean practical joke from NOAA. We need some warmer water.

The river glassed up nicely this evening. I think I'll try the MB pier in the morning. Kozlow, I noticed a smaller pier just north of the 192 causeway. Ever try it? Looks like a good location even if it is a little shorter.

My son caught a 16" tarpon today from a friend's dock. Now I'll never hear the end of it until I catch one too.... the little bugger!

I'll be looking for you, Koz, with your shiny new cast net!!

#3 ·
SeeYa at the Pier

Yea I think it's about time we meet. I am going out shortly to get some bait at the Indialantic Pier thats the one your talking about north of the 192 causeway. I think in a past post you mentioned something about the water being shallow at the Melbourne Bch Pier to a certain point it is but at the end where its covered with the roof its at least 4 to 5 ft and you have to know where the holes are plus if you cast out from it your hitting some deeper water. At the Indialantic Pier its maybe 3 ft at the point of the Pier which is covered and shallow water past it I know I have waded out in those spots quite a few times. I go to the Indialantic Pier for Bait most of the time because you can see the buggers coming alot better in the shallows. I have seen some fish caught there so I wouldn't cross it off the list totally. I like to go there when the strong winds are coming out of of the south up the Indian River the causeway cuts down on the chop being that it is so close to it .
Well hope to seeya there this AM.
I will be driving a Silver PT Cruiser.

#7 ·
Toothies Breaken Water

I am getting reports of toothies and other critters breaken water and chasen bait down south of 192 this past weekend . May have to hit the surf this weekend. Hope the warming continues.:D

#8 ·
FYI

Cliff Budd: Ocean current finally pushing cold water out of the area
By Cliff Budd fishing columnist
August 17, 2003

Everyone in marine-related industries in our area will remember the cold ocean waters from the summer of 2003.

At least six separate thermoclines hit our area, each lingering until the next one moved in. Not only did cold-sensitive fish suffer and die; the entire food chain was affected.

Creatures that could relocate did. Others that stayed in their homes didn't fare well.

Mother nature can be cruel at times, but right now she's also bringing the ripping north current that is helping to wash away the cold surface water and the deeper frigid water.

Reef fish like snappers and grunts are returning and the temperature offshore is warming up daily off Jupiter but the cold water is still haunting the ocean from Stuart to Fort Pierce.

Summer is turtle nesting season. I haven't heard any news, but the cold water could also disrupt their nesting and hatching cycle.

On the local scene, fishermen are still catching those tough-fighting bonito. The kingfish bite was really good for a few days; it also helps to be in the right place. Last I heard, straight out of Jupiter inlet was the place to be, in about 75 feet of water. Dead bait works just fine.

Dolphin are still way out, at least 10 miles east. Sailfish action has been good and some boats are either seeing or catching fish on trips every day.

Wahoo are at their peak season. Try fishing for them early morning or late afternoon.

Big bull sharks are just outside the kingfish and bonito schools, near the ledges.

Back country may be a little slow for a while because of the freshwater, but night snook fishing for the smaller fish has been decent.

The cold water has had a positive effect on pompano and mackerel. Those fish usually leave for the summer season, but this year some of the fish stayed on and are still biting.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.