Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A day after surfing in a fullsuit in AUGUST, I have to ask this question:

With the sea temps in the high 50's/low 60's for the past few weeks from here to the middle of the outerbanks, how do you think this will affect the late summer runs of spot, puppies, and the fall run of stripers in the VB/lower Chesapeake Bay area?

(Going back to my Oceanography 101 class, the lower temps are caused by 'upwelling'. See this site for an explaining upwelling off the Joyzee Shore.

Upwelling

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You go yesterday or today, my brother called yesterday and said there was a decent swell at V.B., but as usual work kept me out of the water. Sometimes it's no fun being a grown-up!! As far as the water temps, I think the fish are here, just a matter of finding them. I also think the bay temps are up near to normal due to the more shallow water, but it wont take much of a cold snap this fall to lower them to the point where the fish start to make their fall run. Hopefuuly this should lead to a early fall run. Just my $.02

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
My concern is that the colder inshore water is going to keep a lot of the inshore species further out and in deeper water. It could absolutely wreck the fall runs if it never warms in the shallows, encouraging migratory species to gang up and feed heavily.

We might end up seeing a really crummy season for trout and drum if that happens.

·
Registered
225 Posts
the water temp at va beach is only in the 6o's????
i was looking at thr water temps online and was showing temps in the 8O's... whats up with that?? of is the offshore temp low?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay B - Monday's chest high swell lasted from 6am - noon. By the time I got there after work it was waist high and sloppy (and freezing).

Medic - those temps are probably read from the bouys out 5-10 naut miles out where the water is warmer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As long as that SW wind keeps up, the water will stay chilly. A good NE wind for 2-3 days will warm it up. Of course, NE often brings cloudy conditions, so the beach folks don't like it but nothing better for beach and ocean pier fishing. I'm already looking forward to the Oct NE conditions.

·
Registered
162 Posts
water temps

chesttohead

the h2o temps are so cold because of upwelling. it is when there is alot of wind for days and the water on top (the warm water from the sun) actually gets stirred up and moves to the bottom and the cold water comes to the top. with the west and southwest winds this happens. i think this has set the fishing back by at least 1 month if not more. here and hatteras. but at least there is some surf with the sw winds.

see you on the beach or in the water

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Dickie's right about the southwest wind creating the upwelling, but I'm going to go out on a limb ans say that the changes we are experiencing are from global changes brought about by a hundred years of irresponsible human behavoir ..which has effected the ground, water, and atmosphere in ways we cannot fully understand. maybe its just me but I dont think the climate is the same as it was 10 yrs ago. the weather is always wierd now, droughts were there never were, flooding where is should be dry. the winters seem to keep getting milder, and the summers get wierder and cooler. look at all this rain I cant ever remember getting this much rain in the summer. we used to have droughts every summer. the artic ice sheets are melting and breaking away, we have smog advisories in hampton roads. the world is changing. I just hope it does not spell armagaddon for the human race. oh well I dont have kids and i wont happen in my lifetime..

....sorry... slow day at work...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
[email protected] dude, first Croatan post, now this, you sound like someone that needs to stop by the local 7/11 to pick-up some liquid stress relief and spend some time with Mrs.(Miss) rockhead.:D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Its the end of the world as we know it........ Yeah I feel you rockhead. I think it is a combination of both those. The ozone is getting thinner and thinner so seasons are going to be weirder and weider as the years go by........:jawdrop:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doom and gloom! The experts have been saying that global warming is coming for years and it may finally be here but it could also just be nature healing itself with a wet summer after seven years of drought. Time will tell...

Cold ocean water temps is on the front page of the Washington Post website today - check it out:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25865-2003Aug6.html

I think after this south wind goes away the temps will heat back up again. I am getting sick of all of this rain though. I haven't been able to catch squat for smallmouth bass in the James River at Richmond this year and I have been out like five times already. The river has been at five feet above normal for the last three months.

DC

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
It's still nothing a cold beer and a hot woman won't cure.:D

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Everything in and about nature runs in cycles. Weather patterns,the seasons,the moon & sun,Women (oops, did I say that). As far as global warming, how do you think the Cavemen felt during the Ice Ages. I did read an article in the paper not long ago that said the O-zone was actually filling in the holes and getting better.As long as we humans don't get in the middle of it to screw it up and watch how we treat our Mother Earth we'll be fine! Last winter was one of the coldest in quite a while, now we've got a wet spring & summer; WHO KNOWS??!! I think it's all one big 10 or 20 year cycle and it takes so long to go full circle that none of us can keep up with it and remember the last time it was like this. What can we as individuals do about it?? really nothing except conserve & protect our resources and watch how we treat our Mother Earth.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yea I was just messin around .. as far as stress relief with the woman and beer, she is pissed at me so its beer and beer and beer...........................................and beer

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Might be that "cycle" thing I was referring to earlier. :D Good luck.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Just one note the Ocean water temps are about normal or with in atleast a with couple of degrees. It is the surf temps that are really down which is causing the need for a full wet suit. Give us a S to E wind things will warm up quicky in the surf, a NE will do the same for a while. And the fish will follow. If you would like a easy to read cause and effect go to http://www.avalonpier.com/reports/calendar/calendar.pl
They show the wind direction and the water temps it corrolates nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts