Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of Point Lookout, Romancoke, North Beach, and Metapeake piers, which ones are in 'shallow' water?

I have never fished rum and coke. I have heard it is shallow. Metapeake seems fairly deep. Point Lookout seems the deepest to me. North Beach seems slightly more shallow than Metapeake.

If you had to rate the MD piers you have fished, which ones are the deepest? How does this affect the fishing? Is depth related to catching fish? If so, does this mean the distance casters should have more luck than your average joe at a 'shallow' water pier?

Thanks for the input. A coworker asked me about this and I have my theories but I wanted to see what the experts think. :D

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
You're not going to find many deep water piers in the bay--it's a notoriously shallow place close to shore. At Romancoke, however, if you can really punch it, you can hit the channel that's marked by buoys. I've found I catch far more when I can put it out that far.

There are actually more deepwater spots you can reach from shore, including Kent Narrows and Sandy Point.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is Romancoke open 24 hours? I am starting to get the casting thing down. I think shooting for the channel would give me something to shoot for as far as distance goes. I figure I am throwing around 100 yards or so. The reel is supposed to hold 210 yds of 12 lb. and I am emptying half the spool with 12 lb.
If I increase the weght from 4 to 5 ounce, maybe I'll get even further.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Romancoke is the shallowest, about 1 foot or so. Next is North Beach, almost 3 feet. Point Lookout looks to be a little deeper than North Beach, but it is hard to estimate because Point Lookout pier is so high above water. Metapeake is the deepest at about 4 or 5 feet.

I am talking about the depth right at the piers. It is hard to estimate the depth away from the piers without jumping in the water to tread the water (SMILE).

It is hard to relate the depth to catching fish. Sometimes, you can catch fish close to the pier because of structure. Other times, you have to throw way out. It is also a matter of luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My experience tells me the Solomon's Pier (right under Rt. 4 bridge) has the deepest water around. When the sinker finally drops to the bottom, the line goes almost vertical (well, more like 45 degrees down). Only problem with the pier is it is too small to hold a large number of anglers. Seeing tangled lines is a regular thing there. I'd rather go to Choptank Pier than to see that happen.

Also, the Severn River bridge has deeper water at the end, I believe.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PeterP, thanks for the input. I have never fished the pier at Solomons. I don't like to get my lines tangled though so I guess that's just as good. I also have never tried the Severn River Bridge. Do you catch much there? How do you get there from rt 50?

Green Cart, nice to see a newbie contributing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
HuskyMD,

The Severn River bridge is the old 450 bridge leading to the Naval Academy. As soon as you cross the Route 50 bridge over Severn River, take the exit south to Naval Academy (route 450). Go about 2 miles, and at the entrance to the new 450 bridge, make a left and then a right to go into the park (I think it is Jonas Green Park or something). The city left about 100 yards of the old bridge so people can fish.

Here is my experience with the bridge. If you try to fish during normal fishing hours (say, any time outside of 12:00 am to 6:00 am), it gets awfully crowded. I know fish are definitely there, it's just that you have to deal with other distractions. I had a pretty good success with spots and blues there. There is also 200 yards of sandy shore right next to the bridge, and those who have fished there reported mixed results.
I didn't try much there.

Personally, I will try to look at other places first before going there. I think Choptank is the only pier you can count on having some space any time.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
The far end of the Choptank River pier will get you into 35' of water. Most people don't want to walk the 1.2 miles though. That's where you'll find me and most serious anglers. I've never caught a skunk there.

Catman. ;)

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear a lot of mention of black drum on this site. There is a guy here where I work who is a huge boat fisher. Anyways, he always refers to black drum as black carp cause he says they are garbage eating bottom feeding scum. Do you guys eat the balck drum? Are they good?

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Good post husky,
It brings up another point..I was at nb pier yesterday and the water was about two feet deep and clear as could be..The people were complaining that they could not catch anything..I told them to look down..I have yet tosee any thing caught in water that shallow when it is so clear..You could see the ripples in the sand from the pier..

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey JCreamer,
I was thinking about you today. I was talking to the guy next to me (who just bought an 11' Penn Spinfisher Surf rod with a Blue Runner reel--looks like someone I can get to go fishing with me) and he mentioned he was at North Beach last week.

How is North Beach this year? Are they charging already? Anyone catching trout? Crowded? Is the crowd like it was a couple of years ago, or is still like they let the penitentiary out for a fishing break?

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Husky, the Choptank pier is actually the old Rt. 50 bridge with the draw span removed. That's why it's such a long walk to the end which puts you right at the channel. If you're going to venture to the end you need some sort of cart to carry your gear. It's really a nice place to fish, lighted, spot-a-pots, picnic tables up to mid way, clean, and never crowded at the end. It's also a safe place to take small children. A lot of people crab along the first 1/4 mile and do pretty good. The DNR guys frequent the pier and I've seen more than one cited for illegal fish. Check it out on Hot Spots.

Catman. ;)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
HuskyMD- Yes you can eat Black Drum, I think the smaller ones(puppy drum)are alot tastier. I know they eat sea clams,small fish and sand eel. There's a Black Drum in freash water that no one eats because of it's eating habits. (down south-Mississippi)

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I've eaten smaller black drum--never tried a bigger one. I'd be inclined to just let it go. Anyway, about once a week during the spring spawn, some poor bottom fisherman will tie into one at the Choptank, and occasionally someone lands one. But no one targets them.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
NB is charging..2 bucks first pole..Three bucks second pole..Last week not much has been going on .. They are working on the beach..The rock wall is being worked on as it is not keeping the sand in..They are losing too much of the beach..The are bringing in more fill and sand..Last couple of nights the water has been crystal clear..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.