Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at BPS at the pre-opening, and I noticed those stickers that read "Warning: this item contains harmful chemicals found by the state of California to cause cancer" or some such thing. These were stuck on several different things including a rubber handled steel fish scaler (the kind that looks like a vegetable peeler with teeth), a fishing rod, a line minder (attach to rod to hold new spool of line so you can fill your reel) and a crab trap.

This isn't the first time I've seen these on odd items either. I was checking out the Tica rod at Bishop's B&T, planning on buying it for my wife (gotta love her - she luvs fishing too :D ), but that sticker deterred me from buying it. It was a great deal though ($70 - 9ft, 12-30lb version). I also didn't buy the scaler at BPS because of the sticker.

What chemical(s) do these stickers refer to? I've seen them on lures and sinkers, but I figured that was the lead. But lead wouldn't be in those above mentioned items, would it? Is there something else I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
206 Posts
i had a fishing pole that is now retired that had that sticker on it. i believe it does refer to lead. they put that sticker on anything that has lead in it even a small amount.

dan lee

fish til it hurts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
re: warnings

Fishaholic,
As a truck driver who pulled many a load out to, and from the west coast, I also was curious about this. I asked a guy at one of the shippers on the west coast about this same thing.

He told me that any consumable item that could be sold in California, made in California, or shipped through California was required to place this warning sign on any item that had a hazardous ingredient.

In other words, I think the Gov. of California thinks we all like eating sinkers, or chewing the protective coating off our rods when we are bored.

But seriously........I think it may be for childrens/pets protection.....they seem to like putting things in thier mouths.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I second the lead...

I've seen the same label on fishing products mostly refering to lead. There is also some chemical, *****zene, found in plastics, that Cali. likes to label as harmful. I'm gonna keep fishing anyway.

Zigh
><((((*>
;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe it is due to Proposition 65 in California, which requires certain carcinogens as "known by the state of California" to be labeled as such. California is known to go overboard on perceived public health issues such as this...

I believe that brass parts and maybe some other things that go into fishing reels contain lead.

California is a very big market, so the manufacturers do it for all of the reels. If, say, North Dakota passed such a law, I think the ND folks would simply be out of luck...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I've bought swivels that had a warning label on the package. If machines don't stick the labels on such small packages then that's sure one tedious task for the, more than likely....underpaid yet overworked, worker.

I've seen the stickers out for a while now.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Chris is right. It's a load of horse...uh, well you know.

Californians are a little wacky, and they label almost anything a carcinogen. Don't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
sand flea said:
Chris is right. It's a load of horse...uh, well you know.

Californians are a little wacky, and they label almost anything a carcinogen. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Whew, does that mean I can go back to chewing on my Tica again. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
The World is an Extremely Dangerous Place

Especialy if you're an idiot.

As one of the many duties of the "Plant Engineer" in a manufacturing enviornment. I have been responsible for "Establishing" and "Administering" the Companies "Haz-Mat" policy.

Basicly, Record Keeping and Training.

Part of the Record Keeping is the maintenance of the Companies "MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Log".

This log contains a "MSDS" for every "Hazardous Material" present in that facility.

You Will Be Alarmed to Learn that there is

Danger Lurking in seemingly harmless substances.

Vile, Foul, Despicable Substances like

OXYGEN, WATER, COFFEE and PAPER are on this list of Deadly Killers

Run Home, Warn Your Friends. Do it NOW ! ! !

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have seen this warning label as well i bought some fishing line and when i was spooling my reel i noticed the label on hte bottom said this product contained lead.. They have to put warning labels on everything thats potentially harmfull..Kinda like directions on simple items like shampoo.... ohhh wet hair first... damn thats what ive been doing wrong... some dumba$$ did it wrong one time or another so the rest of us get the labels...And brass in itself is a harmfull metal... it has its own nasty componants in it..Im a sheetmetal fabricator and welder so i know what its like to weld brass nasty stuff If you dont use a respirator it will make you sick as hell breathing the fumes..
Brass to the touch isnt very harmfull but the dust it produces can be.. thats why they put a thin coating over it on our reels to protect from the tarnishing dust ..But there isnt enough on there to worry about unless you like to eat it.. its safe.. everything has a precaution to it

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The un natural stuff I can deal with.....

It's the everyday routine that's deemed more hazardous.

OXYGEN, WATER, COFFEE and PAPER are on this list of Deadly Killers
I guess the majority of the human race is closer to death's door as soon as they awaken each morning. Breathing, mixing water and coffee together...........while reading the morning paper.:eek:

We are tomorrow's headlines.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Caution Coffee May Be Hot, It's all overkill, same ol' stuff.

I Calf. a stick is dangerous.

They say lead is harmful to wildfowl, well I say, if a duck eats my 8oz. sinker it won't be the lead poison that kills it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
One day....

....The sun is gonna rise with one of those stickers on it from the State of California:cool: :jawdrop: :cool:

But seriously...I think that spring water and organic lettuce are next.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
239 Posts
MAYBE.......

If it causes cancer in California....Maybe that's an incentive to buy:D

(ER..UH.. I apologize for anyone whom I offended..I take my share of bad jokes too.;) )

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Those labels kill me..

CA is protecting any type of material that can cause cancer, while anyone not living in CA can walk into a fishing store, pick up some lead sinkers, lick our fingers and die...

I think that any lead sinkers that can be handled by CHILDREN should be protected. I saw a kid last week in the tackle store running around with a handfull of lead sinkers. Did he wash his hands afterwards? Probably not....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts