Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been dropping big hard fighting fish 3 days in a row.. today I tighted the drag and leaned hard.. had 5 wahoo, released 3 over 20 pounds ( what a fight!) they were females and seemed full of eggs and its spring so they went free., the next 2 shown here were males like 8 pounds each and "prime eaten size:)" and Wahoo is some mighty fine eating so these guy went on the grill.....

Absolutely beautiful fish, fought great, took out 100 yards of 20 pound braid in like 8 seconds these fish are "FAST!" I live on the south Aegean coast of Turkey and these fish are not native to our waters and were brought up here from the Mediterainean due to the global warming thing and they are welcome in book.. They tasted indescribably delecious!
Thank you God:)
Just wanted to share my joy with my fellow surfcasters..tight lines

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully tomorrow I will post those water pics,
Didnt have my phone/camera with me today and I realeased some nice big gals back to the water. Hope fully tomorrow buddy I'll post those pics of the beach..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I stand corrected I think these may be kingmackeral fish, or a regional mediterainean strain of smaller wahoo But at this stgae of the game I dont care if its a cockerspaniel , fights hard tastes great, Thank you God!

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
They might be cero or sierra mackeral
Maybe so. Sometimes the only way I can tell the small kings from little Spanish is the dip in the lateral line. That line doesn't really dip at all, which makes me wonder if it's got any king in it. It looks like a mack for sure, and it might be a cero. I've never seen a cero before and haven't heard of a sierra.

Great catch, though, John! :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I do believe what Awsome John has got himself there is a Narrow Barred Mackeral or they actually call those spainish over there, but there still narrow barred macks, which do get way bigger than our kings and spainish and ceros. Not wahoo for sure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.