Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Dick's has your basic Hodgeman 3.5mm neoprene for $59. Boot-type ones are around $80-90. They have a bunch of the PVC rubber ones for around $40. They have breathables but not sure on the price.
I picked up the Hodgeman's neo. I like them because they are cut high and provide coverage up to my armpits. Went to BPS and bought wading boots for $30 but was using old work boots before that.

I think SA has the same selection and if you get the coupon in today's paper (Pilot) and buy them on Turkey day, you'll save 25%.

·
Registered
634 Posts
BPS has a big selection and various prices also..cheapest i seen on opening day was $50

·
Registered
53 Posts
SA in Hampton has a few, but nothing like the BPS selection. I bought a pair of the neoprene Red Head Bone Dry waders from BPS. They're 3.5 mm. I tried them out at SB last weekend and was satisfied with them. I think they were around 50 or 60 bucks. They also sell the boot to go with them for 30 bucks. I bought one size above my shoe size and it was too small. Took them back and went two sizes over... seems about right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After our adventure at oregon inlet this weekend my husband has the fever for a pair of waders, can you guys tell me which kind you think are best and why? I have no experience with waders. I wonder why he couldn't wear knee high boots, it seems he is only going to go in after the fish we catch. thanks for any help!
Jules:rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with chest2head's suggestion, I used the coupon out of the pilot and invested in some hodgmans. They were $98 & $74 with the discount. Great waders, & great advise. Have used them twice and have landed my first landside stripers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Breathable waders. Superior to neoprene as they are year round waders. Look for the bootfoot, replaceable felt soles. Felt is good for jetties, rocks...you won't slip. Much easier to walk in and to get in/out of. They work in the salt and in the fresh. They work in warmer/cold water. During the winter, use thin polartec pants or similiar material like Hot Chiles or Mysterioso makes (same as used by military) underneath and you'll be fine. Usually around this time of the year you can find them on sale...

Make sure you get a wading belt to the water from reaching the important stuff!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Breathable Waders

Breathables rule. No sweat, and they are dry when you go to wear them on the second day of a weekend trip. I have the White River Boot Foot Breathables from BPS.I also have the polartec underliners with the stirrup bottoms..I haven't had to use the underliners yet this year bu I know they will be helpful. These also convert very easily into waist high waders by rolling down the chest piece.:)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I got the insulated rubber types,with the boots $59.00,which I bought from SA 3 years ago.They have worked great,but this year I have had some problems with the insulation and the rubber starting to crack.

I have been patching them since the start of the season.MAn it is no fun when you start leaking water,especially when it's cold.

I bought my sister's boy friend some Red-Head bootless waders from BPS,for 59.00 bucks(X'Mas gift).I think of picking up a pair for the next season.

But I think I will stay away from the rubber insulated from now on,and stay with the cloth-type neoprenes,with the option of what type of boots to wear.

My .02 cents

·
Registered
264 Posts
I could wear my dry suit

but then I would be too tempted to go swimming.. lol..or swim out to one of the pilons and climb up..

shore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts