Pier and Surf Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
I bet you really hate it when your peas touch your mashed potatoes too... 馃槀馃槀馃槀
We all have a little OCD馃憣馃槈
Naw, the food all ends up in the same place in a few minutes anyway. But boots dont lace up and fit the foot like a quality hiking shoe does. I would sometimes walk 2 or more miles setting/checking traps through snow, water and slippery rough terrain which becomes really painful in a pair of boots that don't fit well and aren't comfortable. Like they say .. Ya get watcha pay for. I'm sure the beach will be mild in comparison. I like the HT Chucks idea, was thinking along thos same lines myself.

Registered
I bet you really hate it when your peas touch your mashed potatoes too... 馃槀馃槀馃槀
We all have a little OCD馃憣馃槈
Naw, the food all ends up in the same place in a few minutes anyway. But boots dont lace up and fit the foot like a quality hiking shoe does. I would sometimes walk 2 or more miles setting/checking traps through snow, water and slippery rough terrain which becomes really painful in a pair of boots that don't fit well and aren't comfortable. Like they say .. Ya get watcha pay for. I'm sure the beach will be mild in comparison. I like the HT Chucks idea, was thinking along thos same lines myself.

Registered
Man Something I like about the Red High-tops! I learned something very valuable on my first elk hunting trip out west in the later 90s.. Hunting boots and Hiking boots are two different animals...My guide walked me to death up and down mountains and dark timber. Rocky "Hunting" Boots with 1000gms of thinsulate wore my ass out ! Coupled with taking a heavy ass Rem 700BDL .. After that I bought hiking boots that had similar features but designed for walking and climbing..No more heavy "Hunting Boots". After that my future trips out west were not near as taxing. Took a much lighter standard caliber rifle too..

What I am saying you may need to try a few different things to achieve the result you're looking for and your comfort..
I tried a classic Scuba bootie first...then I tried a classic style wading boot with laces..I found that I really liked the
Foreverlast Flats or Reef Boots the best... Zipper on the side easy in and off. Fit snug and no bunching up and I wear only Thorlo socks which are far better quality than any sock out there so I have the room needed inside the boot. Oh and go up a couple boot sizes also for the extra room

Registered
I will throw another vote for breathable stocking foot on the beach for the same reasons already mentioned: being able to easily turn inside out when needed, lightweight. I layer underneath the waders or throw on a hoodie if it's cold. As for boots, i started out with a zippered flats boot, but i always had issues with sand making it difficult to get them off at times. Now i just throw on my xtra tuff boots and call it good enough. Very comfortable and they are very easy to slide off if needed.

Registered
i use stocking foot similar to what you would wear trout fishing in rivers but instead of boots i use a pair of crocs. it lets the sand rinse out. of course you will need a much larger pair of crocs to fit the stocking foot. problem i had in the past with wading shoes was stones or sand got inside and rubbed holes into the stocking foot

Registered
....... stones or sand got inside and rubbed holes into the stocking foot
I assumed the gaiter guards would prevent that ? ? You used no guards ... with sandals ? I can see where the neoprene sock would get abused rather quickly in the surf.
A high-top whatever with a guard seems dandy. I'm going to look this weekend at the local trout stream fishing supplier.

Registered
apparently i am not famiar with the guards. just know i used my stream boots and after i few times in the surf i could feel water inside. that's when i switched to large crocs.

Registered
My neighbor offered to give me a pair of boot wades with felt soles. Brand new in the box. How well would those felt soles work (or not) on the beach ? Any ideas ?
Thanks

Registered
I would take the free waders and give them a shot and report back on your experience. Likely there would be minimal issues with felt unless you run into quick sand.

Sharks may actually prefer Felt over regular Vibram style boot bottoms.

Registered
My neighbor offered to give me a pair of boot wades with felt soles. Brand new in the box. How well would those felt soles work (or not) on the beach ? Any ideas ?
Thanks
Felt will be OK on the beach... It may be worth taking them to a Shoe repair place and see what they would charge you to re sole them with a treaded sole.. They can only be glued on

Registered
You may be getting offered the felt boots free, not because there is anything wrong with them, but they are illegal to use in some freshwater areas to reduce the possibility of introducing invasive critters.

Registered
I passed on the felts, the size was wrong. WAYYYY too tight. I've seen mention of those laws, very likely the reason.
Anyway, I picked up a real nice FITTING set of lightly used Red Ball neoprene. Very light, comfortable and flexible.
$20 at a yard sale Saturday. Much nicer than I was expecting. Good on boots now, thanks all,
:)

Registered
I just went and got a pair of the Frogg Toggs breathable stocking foots and I think i'll try a pair of Crocs as a boot at the end of the month. I myself have gotten too old and portly to deal with the boot foot PVC's. The breathables are WAYYYY more comfortable so far. Thanks for the suggestions!

Registered
I just went and got a pair of the Frogg Toggs breathable stocking foots and I think i'll try a pair of Crocs as a boot at the end of the month. I myself have gotten too old and portly to deal with the boot foot PVC's. The breathables are WAYYYY more comfortable so far. Thanks for the suggestions!
Crocs will get sand and shells in them...Been there done that....You wont like sand getting in when you're in the wash Wear a boot or bootie that the top can be covered with the gravel guards.. This will ensure that no outside debris gets in

Registered
Crocs will get sand and shells in them...Been there done that....You wont like sand getting in when you're in the wash Wear a boot or bootie that the top can be covered with the gravel guards.. This will ensure that no outside debris gets in
Roger that. Any suggestion on an inexpensive boot? I only use them once or twice a year, so I can't justify a super expensive one. I saw you mention the Chuck's earlier.

Registered
Roger that. Any suggestion on an inexpensive boot? I only use them once or twice a year, so I can't justify a super expensive one. I saw you mention the Chuck's earlier.
If you are a normal size 12 I have a pair of Foreverlast wading boots in 13 that have been worn twice I will let go for $30 and shipping... They were a bit too short for me..
Looks like this

Foreverlast puts out a great product.. I went the Ray Guard boot incase if I wanted to wade fish the sounds..Their reef boots are fairly cheap and come in Wide sizes also.. Free Shipping

Registered
If you are a normal size 12 I have a pair of Foreverlast wading boots in 13 that have been worn twice I will let go for $30 and shipping... They were a bit too short for me..
Looks like this

Foreverlast puts out a great product.. I went the Ray Guard boot incase if I wanted to wade fish the sounds..Their reef boots are fairly cheap and come in Wide sizes also.. Free Shipping
I'll message you.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts