Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good grief .... what a selection !
I will need a set also, but which ones ?
Breathable?
Poly/Rubber ?
PVC ?
Neoprene ?
Insulated .. or NOT ?
Boot or Stocking foot ?
I have an older heavy set for hunting, they stand up all by them selves in the corner, can barely bend over in them. I'd drown for sure if I ever fell over, or dipped up a wave !
What are the favorites ? Can you get them locally, around Jacks ? Or ?
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breathable?
Poly/Rubber ?
PVC ?
Neoprene ?
Insulated .. or NOT ?
Boot or Stocking foot ?
I have an older heavy set for hunting, they stand up all by them selves in the corner, can barely bend over in them. I'd drown for sure if I ever fell over, or dipped up a wave !
Thanks
Price aside I think boot foot breathable is the way to go for the beach

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Breathable?
Poly/Rubber ?
PVC ?

Neoprene ?
Insulated .. or NOT ?
Boot or Stocking foot ?
Thanks
You want breathable.. NO Neoprene, or Rubber... Insulation applies to the boot if you buy the bootfoot waders.
I have bootfoot and started using Stocking Foot this past spring and love them.. Much easier to get in an out of.
If they get the least bit of moisture inside I can turn them inside out and dry them out. Something you cant do with bootfoot. They also store better than bootfoot. whether in the vehicle or closet. I wear a set of Flats Style boots with them instead o. If you choose to goo stocking foot just make sure they have Gravel Guards on them...
Breathable?
Poly/Rubber ?
PVC ?
Neoprene ?
Insulated .. or NOT ?
Boot or Stocking foot ?
Thanks
You want breathable.. NO Neoprene, or Rubber avoid them completely... Insulation applies to the boot if you buy the bootfoot waders.
I have bootfoot and started using Stocking Foot this past spring and love them.. Much easier to get in an out of.
If they get the least bit of moisture inside I can turn them inside out and dry them out. Something you cant do with bootfoot. They also store better than bootfoot. whether in the vehicle or closet. I wear a set of Flats Style boots with them instead of wading boots. If you choose to goo stocking foot just make sure they have Gravel Guards on them...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’ve had a pair of neoprene ones for over 20 years, use them in the river, sound side and surf, love them. Ugly as all get out and I typically wear old tennis shoes except in the surf.

just out of curiosity why NO Neoprene?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Interesting …so no problems with water getting inside flats boots ?
Not one bit..The bootie on the stocking foot is sealed neoprene..I wear socks in them also.. Not one bit of wetness from the outside..Your feet are going to sweat a little anyway. SO if you want to wick that moisture away from the skin.. Wear a super thin pair of polypropylene/nylon socks then a wicking sock of your choice. Im more concerned with gravel or sand getting in my boot so Gravel guards on the wader is a must..Stocking foot waders are less expensive also. Since you're one the sand most of the time Hard Soled Scuba Booties will work just fine also.. Its a lot better being nimble on your feet than weighed down with heavy boots that are attached to the bottom of your waders.

Why no neoprene? .. Couple of reasons Your heat and moisture that your body will create has no where to go except next to your skin and wick into your clothing. If the air temp is over 60- 65 degrees you will burn the hell up in them. Neoprene also limits your mobility and is super heavy...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I guess if it’s that warm outside I don’t wear them. Typically mountain river water is cooler so I never over heated.
Last Winter I decided to try an experiment using Stocking Foot and Wading boots then Flats Boots. Id never really paid much attention to others but never recalled seeing anything besides Waders with attached boots. When Waders go bad How many pairs of rubber boot cut offs do you really need?

My Frugal analytical mind figured it was easier to find S, M, L and XXL in waders and keep my size 13 shoes seperate. The cost benefit is also worth it. Besides size 12 and 13s sell out fast.
I found it also easy to get in a pair and not have to swing a boot around and wiggle in to them. Once you kick your boots off you can be out of them in a flash.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I always have worn boot foot waders when it gets cool and cold out surf fishing. But I'm thinking of switching to stocking foot this year. I have some older waders I can use. I have about 4 pairs of wading shoe's , 1 pair I can press into service for the beach. I'm getting to old to wrestle with boot foot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Excellent info gents, thanks.
I'll be looking at breathable stocking foot Frogg Toggs with gravel guards then.
I HATE uncomfortable shoes. It was hard to find the hip boots I use for trapping because they had to fit me perfectly. I had to settle on higher end commercial, but they were worth it. I can't stand a bunched up, or twisted sock even. I'm picky that way. So, how well does that stocking foot end of the boot manage to fit well in a shoe ? I cant see that working very well, but haven't tried yet either. Just looks kinda awkward and would be a bitch to walk in. Anxious to try one out. I can do the insulating with my clothing. Sometimes it plenty warm, as long as I'm dry.
Thanks again,
:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Haha, can relate to trying to get the neoprene booties off, I’m a size 15! I break a sweat trying to get them off due to the suction that’s created. But it’s worth staying warm and dry!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I always have worn boot foot waders when it gets cool and cold out surf fishing. But I'm thinking of switching to stocking foot this year. I have some older waders I can use. I have about 4 pairs of wading shoe's , 1 pair I can press into service for the beach. I'm getting to old to wrestle with boot foot.
Salt water wont hurt any of your boots.. but, the lighter the better IMO

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Excellent info gents, thanks.
I'll be looking at breathable stocking foot Frogg Toggs with gravel guards then.
I HATE uncomfortable shoes. It was hard to find the hip boots I use for trapping because they had to fit me perfectly. I had to settle on higher end commercial, but they were worth it. I can't stand a bunched up, or twisted sock even. I'm picky that way. So, how well does that stocking foot end of the boot manage to fit well in a shoe ? I cant see that working very well, but haven't tried yet either. Just looks kinda awkward and would be a bitch to walk in. Anxious to try one out. I can do the insulating with my clothing. Sometimes it plenty warm, as long as I'm dry.
Thanks again,
:)
I bet you really hate it when your peas touch your mashed potatoes too... 😂😂😂
We all have a little OCD👌😉
Actually I've not noticed a great deal of bunching up since my foot fills up the bootie but not to the point where it puts a lot of pressure on my toes. If that makes sense to you, I hope it does. There are literally hundreds of choices out there in Wading and Booties.. Flats Boots, Scuba Boots, Zippers, Laces, Sizes and Widths when you go this route. Im thinking of finding a set of High Top Chuck Taylors in Red and trying them out.

Frog Togs are OK, Nothing wrong with them at all... However, there are far better quality and choices out there .. Sims, Reddington, LL Bean, and Orvis. You do get what you pay for.
I happen to like my LL Beans.. since I like the way the pockets are on them at the chest. Hand Warmer, one Waterproof pocket for my phone... and a Utility pocket for my can of Dip and an extra Drum rig, all right there together High on the chest... Gravel Guards that cinch up tight and a snap feature that would fasten to the strings on my boots if I needed to. Also different lengths and sizes for different body types and heights.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I do not wade with a phone. I remember my good friend San Juan taking a glamour shot of me on that Secret Spot down past the other Secret Spot. We were out a bit from the sand standing on a shallow bar with the Sun coming up and the tide coming in. The Glamour shot was lost forever when he dropped his phone into the drink.

I think San Juan made it back from Nags Head Verizon store in time for the evening bite.

Most times I will not even take my phone out on a pier.

I have had a lot of waders over the years, they all seem to have one thing in common, they leak. I have this fancy Chinese Walmart wader that cost $50 and has yet to leak on me since I have not been fishing too hard, as in not at all.

I have had $200 breathable waders leak after only a couple months, patched them up but they started leaking again. These waders ended up being a decent pair of rubber boots after I got out a razor blade.

Happiness is not having your waders leak.

I remember rubber waders and when neopreme first came out it was a thrill....I did not have a belly back in those days so it seemed like you were gliding over the sand compared to the rubber backed monsters,

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I do not wade with a phone. I remember my good friend San Juan taking a glamour shot of me on that Secret Spot down past the other Secret Spot. We were out a bit from the sand standing on a shallow bar with the Sun coming up and the tide coming in. The Glamour shot was lost forever when he dropped his phone into the drink.
Its funny you say that.... This past May Kyle and I were at the inlet one night.... He had just caught a fish and took its pic.. slid his phone in one of those phone pockets and forgot to zip it...He bent over to put the fish back in the surf and Ploop went his phone.. Lost it in the wash He never could get his hands on it.... Fortunately he had a back up he could use for a few days Until he spent over $800 on a new one..... Kyle has to pay to play golf now BTW, and now gets huge discounts at TWs and a Company Free Pass on NHP. He should break the 100 fish mark for 2021 by the end of the month

I haven't seen you since 2019.. They should last forever!

OH and one more thing..... FU!!.. I called you twice last spring during the Legendary Bite just to give you a brief play by play since I knew you had more important obligations where you are... You never called me back... Won't be calling your Hotline again even if fish are jumping out the water on to the beach

1 - 20 of 38 Posts