Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious,
ever see anyone fish the surf in a wetsuit?

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would wear waders and boots, when they could just wear a short sleeve/leg wetsuit and aqua socks. Not gonna fill up with water, more comfortable, etc.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
When I was in San Francisco I say a couple of guys surf fishing in wet suits but that water is damn cold year round. Seemed like a good idea to me. I wear my stocking foot chest waders with seperate wading boots when the water is cold. The chest strap does a good job of keeping the water out.

Catman.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have used both and wetsuits are far better. You do get wet, but you stay warm and you have much more manuverability. You can go deeper and not have to worry about getting taken down by a wave that fills your waders. I'm surprised more people haven't started using them.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have thought about using a wetsuit the only problem I have is the cost unless I'm looking in the wrong places the seem to cost twice as much as waders if anyone can tell me different please let me know

·
Registered
144 Posts
You are right about the cost. I already had wetsuits that I used for surfing before I started wade fishing, but I can see how you wouldn't want to shell out the extra $ for a wetsuit vs. waders. You might want to look at surf shops during the late spring/summer months when they go on sale to get a deal. I would say check ebay but only if you have already tried on the same brand and size in a store. They can vary from brand to brand.

·
Registered
797 Posts
vanity...

i would think there the issue of vanity. or maybe i am wrong and some of us look better in speedos than we think.
:--->

ralph

·
Registered
565 Posts
ShoreBird said:
Jimmy,

I believe there are quite a few guys fishing Montauk in
wet suits. I also believe it is more common in the New England
area. I think it's an excellent choice for spring and fall kayak
fishing in case you take a spill.
The guys in Montauk not only wear wetsuits, they put on life jackets and swim offshore to fish! They call it skishing or swim fishing. I read a wild article about it on another board.

I wear waders occasionally, but I am seriously considering getting a suit. The main reason is that waders are a safety hazard if they fill up. Standing in the surf it is not that bad, just don't go out too far, but I see a lot of guys use waders to keep dry on partially submerged jetties. This is very dangerous! I put on my rain gear instead, but that only keeps my upper body dry. If the rocks get swamped when a wave breaks my legs still get a little wet under the rain gear. Money is tight, but next year I will have a wetsuit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think my eyes aren't deceiving me.... in the Winter 2001 part of the Photo Album, Page 5, I think that those guys are wearing wet suits in the surf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.